• April 27, 2024, 06:39:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rough Timeline?  (Read 45785 times)

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
Rough Timeline?
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »

Obviously, I don't expect firm commitments in a public forum but can we have a set of rough estimates for how long this firmware will be beta?

Are you planning on continuing to add features or are you in the QA phase? How long does the DNS-343 F/W QA phase typically take? Are you aiming for an end of month/year release?

knightfreeze

• Level 1 Member
Re: Rough Timeline?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »

i think it has EOLed and will never be released...

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »

Last time I asked about EOL for this device I was shouted down. Is knightfreeze right?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »

From my experience, a product is not cast as EOL unless the manufacturer has a next generation replacement product ready to take off or they are shutting down the line altogether.  To date, I haven't heard any chatter about a replacement to the DNS-343.  The recent surge in NAS popularity refutes any theory that D-Link is shutting down this line.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

weathejx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »

I agree that D-Link SHOULD be providing support and firmware releases, but the last activity from a mod on the DNS-343 boards was 5/13 (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13095.msg77254#msg77254) - a third of a year ago.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »

I agree that D-Link SHOULD be providing support and firmware releases, but the last activity from a mod on the DNS-343 boards was 5/13 (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13095.msg77254#msg77254) - a third of a year ago.

I'm giving the dev. team the benefit of the doubt for now.  If we hit December with no chatter of a new release, then I'll start getting concerned.

weathejx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »

I'm giving the dev. team the benefit of the doubt for now.  If we hit December with no chatter of a new release, then I'll start getting concerned.

I guess.  I'd be more forgiving if there was any sort of response to time line questions, even if it was 'we dont have a time line.'  I'm a developer and I know it's a pain in the ass to give dates.  if the devs are too busy to work on it, release the source code so the community can pick up where d-link dropped the ball.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »

I guess.  I'd be more forgiving if there was any sort of response to time line questions, even if it was 'we dont have a time line.'  I'm a developer and I know it's a pain in the ass to give dates.  if the devs are too busy to work on it, release the source code so the community can pick up where d-link dropped the ball.

In the past (i.e. for earlier fw releases) they have come out and said that their resources were tied up developing the firmware for other products and that they'd come back to the DNS-343 when they were done.

mikeiem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »

I just bought a DNS-343, how can it be end of life. If that is true and this is how DLink treats customers, I wont be buying another DLINK product. Why dont you stick with something and make it work instead of quitting and giving up so easy?

iuliand

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

Well, it's December!
Merry Christmas and shame on you D-link!

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

I just bought a DNS-343, how can it be end of life. If that is true and this is how DLink treats customers, I wont be buying another DLINK product. Why dont you stick with something and make it work instead of quitting and giving up so easy?

Please do not spread false accusations about the product. The only device that was EOL'd was a DNS-343-2TB. The simple fact was that people interested in buying 4-bay storage with drives were only integrated in one thing which is a fully populated (4 drives) device. As such we discontinued the non-needed SKU.

I understand that we have been very quiet on the forums and there are many reasons for it none of which I am going to go into. The simple fact is that this device is not EOL and is still being developed and 1.04 final code is about ready for release.

Merry Christmas :)

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 04:33:39 AM »

How hard was that to update the community?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 06:38:24 AM »

Apparently it was very difficult.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:20:54 PM by JavaLawyer »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »

Yes it is unfortunate however I can not guarantee any time here on these boards as I am not part of the support team and I do this on my own time.

To the quest at hand regarding time-frame, it should be relatively soon for release. There are a couple other items before it on the QA block due to launch schedules and what-nots but it is on the list to be tested and then released.

Smyle1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »

Yes it is unfortunate however I can not guarantee any time here on these boards as I am not part of the support team and I do this on my own time.

To the quest at hand regarding time-frame, it should be relatively soon for release. There are a couple other items before it on the QA block due to launch schedules and what-nots but it is on the list to be tested and then released.

I don't believe there is a single person in this forum that isn't grateful for the updates you provide on your own time. However, I would expect D-LINK (Company) to be more forthcoming with timelines and updates to products, particularly when there is a large userbase who contributes their successes and failures with the products. This only helps the company for continued development.

On another note, I can only hope DLINK will be able to compete with such vendors like QNAP. As stated earlier, users want more storage. Media is more digital with larger files for video, pictures, and music. Storage is a necessity and while companies have been using raid devices for years, it is now important to the every day consumer. Reliability, features, and performance are just as important to a consumer as it is to the a business IT department.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4