• April 16, 2024, 04:25:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Read Only mode - Is it possible to configure?  (Read 5154 times)

CrustyOMO

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Read Only mode - Is it possible to configure?
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

I would like to manually enable/disable a Read Only mode for my DNS-323.  I don't trust the Windows Security Mode, after all, it's viruses that I'm trying to protect my data from and viruses don't follow the Windows Security mode (or they can change it, then infect my files).

It would be even better if the harddrives themselves could be jumpered to be "Read Only".

lookingforinfo

Re: DNS-323 Read Only mode - Is it possible to configure?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

The DNS-323 utilizes basic UNIX permissions that are totally under the control of the Administrator(admin).   I find the control of permissions to be very powerful.  If permissions are relatively static, the tasks of the administrator are relatively easy after everything is established, AND TESTED.  If there are frequent changes, there are more opportunities for unauthorized access.  I am not into testing the defaults that are established when the 323 is added to your local network, but they seem to be adequate for a small local area network.  

It would be helpful if you provided some more details about your setup and desires.  I have found the list members to be very helpful when they are told the user's environment and asked relatively specific questions.

CrustyOMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:05:19 AM »

Hi,

I have my DNS-323 set up for two seperate drives.  I'm storing photo's, PDF's, program setup files, etc on one drive.  This is the drive that does not need to change often.  I'll add data files to it on a monthly basis.  The other drive does not matter, I'm using it to back up the first drive.

I have a small home network of 3 Window-XP macines, I also run the FTP server on the DNS.

I don't know much about UNIX and nothing about how to access UNIX command prompt on the DNS-323.

Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.  Thanks.

lookingforinfo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »

Since someone needs to be able to write to the drive, I am going to assume you are the power user.  I am also going to assume that when you ran the Setup Wizard you created a name for the Workgroup and you user the name "Family".

If my notes are correct, when Setup finished, you probably logged in again as user admin.  If you select the ADVANCED tab, one of the options on the left is USERS/GROUPS and here you can add each of the users with a password.  (When I did this I created each user with the same name that was used on the Windows machine.)  Next, select the Groups option and name the group "Family"  followed by the Add option.

After the users and groups are created, you should be able to select GROUP SETTINGS option.  Here you can select the Family group, then select "All Accounts" and the ADD option.

I think at this point the only thing that needs to be done is to select NETWORK ACCESS from the options on the left and review the permissions of each users.  I forget the default setting, but this screen should allow you to make changes.  Hope this helps.

CrustyOMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

Thanks for your time in explaining it all.  You are very thorough! 

You know, I never saw that "Network Access" button before.  Once in there, it all makes sense and it's exactly what I want.  Right there is the ability to set everyone to Read Only mode.

Good stuff!  and thanks again.  I guess I should be asking "Where can I get thicker glasses?"  lol

Have a good one!
Cheers,
Josh

lookingforinfo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »

Time probably helps more than thicker glasses.  I think I learned the most when I did a firmware upgrade and reset the system to factory default settings.  When you look at every tab and option, and then record each of the settings before you do the reset, you get a better view of all the options, which ones you are using.  

It seems to me that it also helps if you shut down all systems and do a power-on restart after making changes.  It takes extra time, but it eliminates all assumptions.

CrustyOMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »

Good advice!  Thanks again!