• March 28, 2024, 12:45:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: adding drives to dns-343 firmware 1.03  (Read 3742 times)

Viperzero1

• Level 1 Member
adding drives to dns-343 firmware 1.03
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »

So i gather from everything i have read that there is no way i can add 2 new drives to the empty bays 3 and 4 in my 343 and not lose the data on drives 1 and 2. NO i not running any raid at all and no plugins or addons at all. I know i should have a backup, and I do it is on drive 1 and 2, some of the data is irreplaceable and some is not, the time it would take to go through and sort is just to great. I do not have the ability to copy it anywhere at the moment.

So if you tell me that there is no guarantee that my data is safe, I will have to wait till i have the money to buy a back up for my back up, or wait until i have saved enough money to buy a new NAS that actually works the way it should and also maybe one that uses the same drive structure as my system so that the drives are hot swappable.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: adding drives to dns-343 firmware 1.03
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »

If HDDs located in Slot-1 and Slot-2 are setup as Standard Configurations, you should be able to add two additional HDDs in Slot-3 and Slot-4 and configure those as Standard Configurations with no impact to your existing two HDD configuration or data. That said, to be safe in the event something goes wrong you should create a full backup of your data before proceeding. While the DNS-343 is designed to accommodate changes like this, things can go wrong (user error, unknown circumstances) -- it's always best to have a backup on another physical device.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC