• April 23, 2024, 09:52:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: File Permissions Issues  (Read 12585 times)

sultansusu

• Level 1 Member
File Permissions Issues
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »

I have file permissions screwed up on and backup that was created using DNS323 backup util.
I can not change the permissions, delete, rename, etc the files via windows. Any way to fix this other then re-formatting the drive?  Telnet? How can I telnet into the DNS-323?

No RAID being used
100gig of a 250gig being used
FW 1.03

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: File Permissions Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »

Do you have users setup in the Network Access options? Have you tried resetting the unit and accessing the data anonymously or recreating the user?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

William

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »

Hi,

I have faced similar behaviour after updating the firmware to the newest one.
To some folders I cannot copy files to, it gives error about the permissions.
It allows virtually delete a file, but when coming back the folder
the file is still there. Permissions are set right in network access.

W

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »

Hmm that is very strange I would recommend removing all users and recreate all Users and Network access rules and try again. Have you tried reverting back to previous firmware to see if it resolves the issue or reformatting the drives after the new firmware was loaded?

William

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

I think that the problem was with the filenames that had some
"space" characters. After logged in with telnet and removed those
files with "force", everything seems to work OK. I donīt know
the reason for such behaviour, maybe someone can explain that...

W

sultansusu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:01:50 PM »

Hmm that is very strange I would recommend removing all users and recreate all Users and Network access rules and try again. Have you tried reverting back to previous firmware to see if it resolves the issue or reformatting the drives after the new firmware was loaded?
I dumped all user & rules with no luck. I did manage to create anouther problem. Now do to the fact that I removed the user with owership to my files I lost ower ship to all of my files and can NOT change permissions tho these files as well (all files on both drives). fortunatly the files reverted to permissions to everyone with full control. Lets just say this is not want I want. The orig problem did not change. I have groupes: everyone & root, read only ; user: everyone r/w. Why does the DNS not have more controll over these basic file permissions?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »

I dont understand what is going on with your unit you are having some very strange behavior you may want to backup your data and try reflashing the firmware on your unit or reformatting using 1.05 firmware.

sultansusu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »

Well it only stands to reason that if you delete the user that owns the files, the files owner now reverts to a system default. Yes? I my case the file that were fine are now owed by:
unix_user.502 (JOSHUA\unix_user.502) with full controll. And Groups: unix_group.502 (JOSHUA\unix_user.502) & Everyone with full controll as well. But can not change the owner permissions etc. 
The file that were backup to volume_2  have an owner of: root(JOSHUA\root) with r/w control  and with groups of: root (JOSHUA\root) & everyone with read control.
What would the the standard procedure for changing the owner of a file?
How do I insert an image to my post? i see the button, but i can not paste to the window

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »

In your Network Access rules do you have a rule showing Share: Volume_1 Path: Volume_1 User/Group: All R/W: allowed? you may have a BT rule if you are have installed BitTorrent but it should be a single rule.

sultansusu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »

I do not have any groups defined. I do not believe i have BT installed or running. I have fw 1.03. Were would I find BT settings?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »

I would recommend updating your firmware to 1.05 and see if you have the same results. Are you running Windows XP or Vista?

sultansusu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »

I'm running XP. What is the the procedure for a f/w upgrade and reformat of the drives without lossing my data? Can I backup to drive 2, remove drive 2, upgrade f/w to 1.05, reformat drive 1, reinstall drive 2, copy data back to drive 1, reformat drive 2? Without losing my data.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 05:00:37 AM »

Assuming that you have two separate volumes, yes, that should work - but the fact that you have to ask tells me you don't have your data backed up, what if something goes awry ?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »

I would recommend backing up your data to your PC. When upgrading firmware your drives will not be formated although there have been instances were the drives format is not recognized on the new firmware and the DNS-323 prompts for you to format when you access the web configuration. The firmware is designed to be updated without this issue but it seems to happen in some cases as explained and is why it is recommended to backup your data to make sure your data is safe.

Ethereal_Dragon

• Level 1 Member
    • DNS-323 Wiki
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »

Probably wouldn't be suggested by D-Link support, but you can get telnet access to the box fairly easily. Check out the link in my sig.
Gaming Rig: Shuttle SN25P, AMD 64 3500+, Corsiar TWINX2048-3200PRO,
HIS Radeon x1950XT, Seagate 7200.8 ST3300831AS 300GB, Plextor PX-712SA/SW-BL

The NAS Box: D-Link DNS-323 & 2x Seagate 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB - No RAID
http://wiki.dns323.inf
Pages: [1] 2