• March 29, 2024, 06:28:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: You have become disconnected from the default media server.  (Read 7639 times)

kdj1906

• Level 1 Member
You have become disconnected from the default media server.
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:02:17 AM »

I am using the DSM-520 on a wired network using a Belkin N Router and my files are stored on a Maxtor Shared Storage II 500 MB HD.  I turned off the Power Save mode on the shared Storage HD.  There is no set interval for the disconnections.  When I play a media file from the USB drive there are no issues.  Initially the cnnection was wireless but now I am using wired.  I am using the lates firmware on my DSM-520.  The DSM-520 is an awesome compliment to my Home Entertainment System but the disconnections are a nuisance.  Do you have any suggestions?

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Re: You have become disconnected from the default media server.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »

I am using a D-Link DSM G600 NAS for the media server and I have the same problem when playing any video that is longer than 15 minutes or so. The disconnected from the server message appears around 20-30 minutes into the video and does not have noticeable pattern other than it will eventually occur.

I have stored all my videos on a USB drive. I leave the drive connected to the DSM-520 all the time. Only remove it to add more videos. Videos play okay using this configuration. This problem has been posted in this forum before but no one has come up with a solution other than using a USB drive.

Is this problem recognized by D-Link? If so are they working on a soultion? It seems to be the DSM-520 that is the problem since it occurs with different media servers.

TitansRock

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »

I'm having the same problem playing music or videos ... 10 to 15 minutes into a program and bam! disconnected from server.

I believe the problem is with the DSM-520, because both the D-Link server software and Windows Media Player encounter the same problem.

I can't speak to earlier versions as player is new to me. All firm and software is up-to-date, connection is confirmed and internet is always available. What happens?

Anyone have any ideas?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »

Have you tried setting a static IP address to the DSM-520? You may also want to try a static on the NAS or PC as well and see if you have this issue with a direct connection. You also may want to swapping out your ethernet cable for another if you have one available.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »

Titansrock-

Are you connected to a router?  If so...check the lease time.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:36:04 AM »

Here we go again. The topic of becoming disconnected from the media server has been posted on this forum before. And once again the use of a static IP address is one of D-Links’ solutions.

I have been using static IP address all along with the DSM 520 and still have the problem. I am not using a router so lease time is not a problem nor is the lease time a problem with static IP's since the lease time is used for DHCP and if your router is set up properly and working then your lease on the IP address should be automatically renewed when it expires.

I have not had this problem playing music, it occurs only with video (I am using Xvid video files). It seems that I do not have any music files that are longer than the 20 minutes of play time required to prompt this message. On the other hand most videos exceed 20 minutes and then the problem of being disconnected from the media server will arise. I guess what I am trying to say is that being disconnected from the media server appears to be related to the length of time a media file takes to play back.

I am using a D-Link DSM-G600 NAS as the media server. The media server is connected to a 1 GB switch. The DSM 520 is connected to the switch via a power line hard wire connection. In this schema static IP's must be used since there is not a DHCP server (router) on the network segment. The DSM-G600 UPnP directory is located on an external USB drive connected to the DSM-G600.

I thought one source of the problem may be the USB drive going into sleep mode and interrupting the playback of the media. I disabled the sleep mode on the USB drive and it runs constantly. This still did not fix the problem.

I have tried using a PC that is connected to the switch using WMP11 to play the video and the result is the same. After about 20 minutes or so the disconnected from the server message appears. This leads me to believe that the DSM 520 is losing the connection and the problem lies within the firmware of the DSM 520 somewhere. The connection is not really lost. When you acknowledge the message on the DSM 520 you will notice that you are still connected and can continue playing media. Maybe the disconnection is very brief and the DSM 520 immediately reconnects to the media server. This interruption stops the playback and prompts the message.

All in all the best solution I have found is to move those media files that are a problem to a USB drive and play them using the USB direct function of the DSM 520. This may be an inconvenience to some but it is the only workable solution I have come up with.

I will note that using the Play On software, with a PC that is connected to the switch, for streaming Netflix instant videos this problem does not occur. It plays for hours without disconnection problems. The PC using Play On has a wireless connection to a router connected to the internet on a different network segment (i.e. 192.168.0.1) and the video is streamed to the DSM 520 using the switch and power line connection segment (192.168.1.XXX). I have no idea why playing video this way works as opposed to video from a media server.

Does anyone have other suggestions, comments or solutions? Anyone?

TitansRock

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:04:32 AM »

Here is an update to MY problem. I had been using a pair of Trendnet TPL202E (Ethernet over power line) for connection to my router in another room. I changed the networking on my DSM-520 to wireless G with my Netgear router and the problem stopped. I can only conclude that the interruption in connection is due to the Trendnet devices and NOT the DSM-520.

I can't speak for the rest of you having this problem, but I'm now running just fine using a static IP address (no DHCP) over a wireless link.

Good Luck,