• March 28, 2024, 04:13:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Data Corruption Galore  (Read 7200 times)

Shotgun

• Level 1 Member
Data Corruption Galore
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:06:20 AM »

So I've been using this thing for a few months without issue with 2 WD 500gb drives set to raid 1.

Then one day I decide to upgrade to Seagate 1Tb drives...

After copying my data to the new drives once formatted I attempted to open a few files.  They did not open..  in fact some of my movie files played bits and pieces of my other movies at random before crashing my media player.

I formatted a few more times, copied single files to the newly formatted mirror and still am experiencing data corruption with every file I copy.  I placed a call to Dlink support and they would not/could not help.  All they told me was to wait for 1.06, yet the drives I am attempting to use are listed as compatible.

Seagate 1TB ST31000340AS x2

Any thoughts, ideas?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: Data Corruption Galore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »

Might be possible that data is getting corrupted on it's way to the DNS.  Anyway for you to isolate a single PC (if you have many) and the DNS on a single router/switch.

I'd suggest:

- resetting the DNS to factory default
- disabling UPnP, iTunes, FTP, etc. during your tests
- using known "good" ethernet cables if yours are home-made
- disabling Jumbo Frames if you're using this feature
- disabling any scanning software on your PC - ex: anti-virus, etc.

The goal is to try and isolate where the corruption is occuring.  If it turns out that it is the DNS, it may be possible that it's a hardware connector (backplane) related issue and the unit may need to be serviced.

Keep the folks informed of your discoveries as I am sure other like myself will be very interested in your findings.

HTH,

Shotgun

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »

I am going to try resetting to factory defaults when I get home today.  I don't see wiring as an issue because it hasn't changed since I originally copied my files over to the pair of 500gb WD drives I had in it previously.

I tried Dlink support again and they advised me to delete any users and groups I had from the previous shares.   Makes no sense to me but a factory reset will accomplish that anyway.

There's no antivirus running (mac), 1 switch (i have an extra for testing), and 2 pieces of cable in between my test file source and the NAS

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »

Sounds pretty clean.

While your at it, pull the HDD's out and have a look in the bays in case you spot anything odd (ex: burn smell, out of norm chips on connector, infamous dust bunnies, etc.  Also check the fan; if it's caked with dust, it could be an overheat issue.

Cheers,

Shotgun

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »

Its pretty clean, I've only had it for a few months and not many hours are on it.  I will check the silicon for scoring if all else fails.

Thanks for your help

Shotgun

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »

I restored defaults and reformattedand no luck.  I copy 1 file over and it is corrupt.

The silicon looks fine, there is no burning smell in the unit.  I'm wondering if the firmware version of the drives is the issue.  I am going to try putting one of the previous 500gb WDs in there and format it to see if I can reproduce the issue.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »

HDD f/w could be a problem; would be worth your while to check the WD site to see if they have a f/w update for the HDD's you're using.  Hopefully they'll have a change log detailing the issues the f/w addresses.

Keep me posted.

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:08:25 PM »

I know that pc's have troubles sometimes when copy and pasting files larger than 1GB(don't know about mac's). Try using a good syncing program, A good syncing program uses metadata/hash to check if the files have arrived correctly.

I like Allway sync cause its free and works well.
[EDIT] Allway sync does not have a Mac version :(
I'm sure you can find a good mac syncing software
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:16:01 PM by Sumdumphuc »

Shotgun

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:04:04 AM »

I figured it out, and I'm not quite sure why this caused it but it did.

The HD containing my media was in an external firewire case, the case itself is a pata drive enclosure.  It came with a pata to sata converter (addonics) and I have been using that setup for quite some time without issue, but I had never copied files from the unit to the NAS.  Well that was the problem all along.

I took the drive out of the enclosure and threw it inside my tower and proceeded to copy my files over again, and I noticed it took substantially longer to copy all my files.  Enclosure was 6 hours for 200 gb, and internal took nearly 8 hours. 

Go figure.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »

Congrats Shotgun ... glad to read you found the cause/solution.   Amazing how something can work fine for long periods of time and then become problematic.

:-)

eitrnel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 01:40:11 AM »

well, that's strange because im having the same problem but im not using any external hard drive

I figured it out, and I'm not quite sure why this caused it but it did.

The HD containing my media was in an external firewire case, the case itself is a pata drive enclosure.  It came with a pata to sata converter (addonics) and I have been using that setup for quite some time without issue, but I had never copied files from the unit to the NAS.  Well that was the problem all along.

I took the drive out of the enclosure and threw it inside my tower and proceeded to copy my files over again, and I noticed it took substantially longer to copy all my files.  Enclosure was 6 hours for 200 gb, and internal took nearly 8 hours. 

Go figure.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »

Can you provide a bit more detail on your configuration?  Would help us to better understand where the data is stored and what you're using to copy it over to the DNS.

In the interim, try some of the suggestions from one of my early posts to see if you can eliminate some of the variables.

Cheers,