• April 24, 2024, 07:10:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow wireless ineternet speeds on wireless(n)?  (Read 2364 times)

loepxo

• Level 1 Member
Slow wireless ineternet speeds on wireless(n)?
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »

Ever since upgrading to the 1.3 firmware I have noticed that my internet wireless speeds with my macbook pro have deteriorated tremendously.  I normally max out at about 750KB/sec on downloads and I was always maxing out before upgrading, since then, when my dir-655 is set to either mixed wireless (n) or just wireless (n) I get capped at 300 or less KB/sec downloads.  (transferring files within my LAN still is fast)

I have tested downloading the same file on all the modes (g only, n only, mixed g and n) and whenever (n) is selected it slows down.  Using just wireless (g) maxes out just as expected, I even get a small boost at first so I know it is not my internet provider or my mbp. 

I would normally just keep it under wireless (g), but I do transfer an insanely amount of data between my PCs that wireless(n) does make a difference.  I have done all types of testing and tried all the beta firmwares, but still the same results

I am now on, dir655_firmware_132b03NA_beta and the config page shows my device as a Hardware Version: A3, Firmware Version: 1.32NA.  Any help is appreciated as this is really a pain the but having to switch wireless mode all the time.

See attached images for more info on my config settings.

mhouser

• Level 2 Member
Re: Slow wireless ineternet speeds on wireless(n)?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »

Try disabling the "Auto Channel Scan" and set you channel to 1 or 10. Also, change the WAN Port Speed from auto to 1000mbps.

loepxo

• Level 1 Member
Re: Slow wireless ineternet speeds on wireless(n)?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »

thanks for the tip.  I actually changed the channel to 10 (1 did not have much power) and I changed the Transmission Rate from "Best" (yeah, right) ....to "MCS 15 - 130 [270]" and I am maxed out now.  :)

anybody know what these MCS settings mean? 

I am now showing a Rate of 144(Mbps) which is odd, since I thought macs could only go up to 130 with this router....