• April 16, 2024, 07:19:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 194634 times)

Scrawner

• Level 1 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »

I'll just add for the record again that I was having the slowdown/freezing issue after upgrading from 1.11 to 1.31NA, which would occur after 3-5 days. Hardware A2.  I disabled DNS Relay, and so far my router has been up 15 days with no noticeable issues.   Prior to upgrading to 1.31, router had been up 90 days with no issues on 1.11.

As noted previously, I typically have a few IPSec VPN tunnels going to my company and interestingly find that when this issue occurred, I could still communicate to hosts over the tunnel, just couldn't initiate new connections to the internet.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2009, 04:22:51 AM »

I see your problem, your Icons are too big.  ::) Have you been taking your Ginko Biloba? It's supposed to help with memory loss.  ???

It looks like you are using Vista which means you probably have at least 2G (or more) of onboard ram. Is this true? Have you ever experienced problems with other applications running out of memory? Have you tried closing some of your other apps that are open? Does Vista have the "Advanced" setting where you can tell it to use more memory for programs instead of background services?
Clancy

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that the router is stand alone hardware and not OS dependant for memory. I mean this is a home router not a corp. router or switch with extra memory and cpu's that kick in when loads get heavy.

partach1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #272 on: June 25, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »

Ok my (damn lost count) time.  :'(
655 A4 bought in March. After on average each 2 days the router loses it and goes bananas (Internet is gone, DNS ALG stuff).
Discussed with DLink support back then. Did all the dances with settings DLink told me to make and new software (upto 1.21EU) for 2 weeks , no luck because after two weeks DLink decided to just ignore me.  ???
Send my router for 'repair'.
After two months plus got a brand new one (A4 with 1.20). After 5 calls of what was going on with my product.
New one had again the same problem (shipped with 1.20), so 1.21 EU again (saved settings first). Reloading my settings into 1.21 EU and the router effectively stops functioning (log in not possible, keeps rebooting). (seems not related to DNS bug, yet another)
Found by myself it has to do with NTP settings or at least something with TIME. If you remove that from the settings (so leave those default) but set all else to your preference, you can indeed restore your old settings....
1.21 EU, same problem: DNS goes crazy and no internet access anymore (nothing todo with settings!!! in all settings it does this!)
went to 1.32. which gave a different (but not new) problem. Again bananas after on average 2 days but now it starts by switching of wifi first so effectively my wireless clients also have no internet anymore.

So it looks like the same kind of unstability (always a few days) but different symptom with 1.32 (al other versions it starts with DNS relay ALG stuff; cutting off internet)

Have done everything i can but DLink is avoiding me like the plague (all my posts here are left unanswered)  and left me hanging for four months now. Why on earth? Are you guys going for a record of some sort?
Please tell me something because it is frustrating the hell out of me (and many more I see). This really harms the DLink brand you know. People within you company get hunderds of thousands a year to try and build up the brand but at the backdoor you are effectively throwing away your money in this way.

Can any of the DLink support crew give us a decent answer / fix for this problem? Or at least tell us then to return the product cause you can't seem to fix it? Product replacement an option?

now for the 3rd time this week wifi drops away and can't log in. Typing the correct password brings back the password screen again. Typing a wrong password gives (naturally) and dialog stating it is a wrong password.........
Nothing left to do the pull the plug again..... (but hey this normal for the 655?)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:39:11 AM by partach1 »

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2009, 08:51:07 AM »

I'll just add for the record again that I was having the slowdown/freezing issue after upgrading from 1.11 to 1.31NA, which would occur after 3-5 days. Hardware A2.  I disabled DNS Relay, and so far my router has been up 15 days with no noticeable issues.   Prior to upgrading to 1.31, router had been up 90 days with no issues on 1.11.

As noted previously, I typically have a few IPSec VPN tunnels going to my company and interestingly find that when this issue occurred, I could still communicate to hosts over the tunnel, just couldn't initiate new connections to the internet.

Thank you post.  This is the exact same thing that happened to me.  Ran months without restarting on 1.11 but with 1.31 it was freezing every couple of days with 1.31 with dns relay on.  Hopefully we can get more posts like this to show Lycan this isn't a hardware problem.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »

Clancy

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that the router is stand alone hardware and not OS dependant for memory. I mean this is a home router not a corp. router or switch with extra memory and cpu's that kick in when loads get heavy.

Jason, every day I visit here I learn something new. The error in question resembled something I've seen from Windows. My answer was my best WAG (wild *** guess) work. Sometimes I actually know what I'm talking about. On other occasions, Xinot will point out the flaw in my logic with laser like precision. I should call him "Mack the knife" because he can slice me up like roast beef and in such a nice way that when he's through I'm left wondering "I'm not sure, but did he just call me an idi*t?". Moral of the story: sometimes I make guesses and if they are wrong I will undoubtedly learn something when someone posts the real answer. If you ever see me correcting anyone it is only because I am dead-level certain that I am right. There's a lot of frustration in this thread. I hope relief is not far away.
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

Clancy

This router (and all modern routers home or otherwise) has an OS and memory management.  The features that are added on all have a memory cost.  Any microcontroler based device that has a problem based on uptime (that is repeatable or not) I would begin by looking at 4 things.

• processor temperature
  • power supple current stability
  • power supply temperature
  • possible memory management issues

I do not know anything about the issues with this (or any home class product) other than where I stick my nose in to try to help.  I am not part of product management and have no access to their procedures or processes.  But I can tell you they know the above list as well as me.

As for the comment I read somewhere in this thread about the forum being based on the "squeaky wheel" theory, this is as I have stated more times than I care to count not a D-Link contact.  You are here to speak with other users, we are only here to make sure you play nice.  Any contact from D-Link is because that person wanted to help, not because D-Link views this as a customer channel.
non progredi est regredi

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:37 PM »

This router (and all modern routers home or otherwise) has an OS and memory management.  The features that are added on all have a memory cost.  Any microcontroler based device that has a problem based on uptime (that is repeatable or not) I would begin by looking at 4 things.

• processor temperature
  • power supple current stability
  • power supply temperature
  • possible memory management issues

I do not know anything about the issues with this (or any home class product) other than where I stick my nose in to try to help.  I am not part of product management and have no access to their procedures or processes.  But I can tell you they know the above list as well as me.

As for the comment I read somewhere in this thread about the forum being based on the "squeaky wheel" theory, this is as I have stated more times than I care to count not a D-Link contact.  You are here to speak with other users, we are only here to make sure you play nice.  Any contact from D-Link is because that person wanted to help, not because D-Link views this as a customer channel.
Just to be clear about the subject matter Fatman, the router's OS and memory management system has nothing to do with a persons computer OS and management system. Correct?
If this is the case, from recent Dlink firmware releases and problems reported from the users it seems Dlink may be overextending the DIR-655 ability under certain circumstances to handle the loads. Example: torrents,Qos,portfowarding,Dns relay...etc. Most computer users can only multitask so much befor their computer systems start showing signs of sluggishness or even crashing, this is my thoughts on the Dir 655.

Dlink is trying to put 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket. :-\

It all stated with shareport, KICK it to the curb! You bought a router not a NAS device. ;)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »

Dlink may be overextending the DIR-655 ability under certain circumstances to handle the loads. Example: torrents,Qos,portfowarding,Dns relay...etc. Most computer users can only multitask so much befor their computer systems start showing signs of sluggishness or even crashing, this is my thoughts on the Dir 655.

Dlink is trying to put 10 gallons of **** in a 5 gallon bucket. :-\

It all stated with shareport, KICK it to the curb! You bought a router not a NAS device. ;)

Correct, it is the router's not the PC's resources which matter here.  I was trying to confirm that we are no longer in the days of static memory maps.  Which is what I feared was meant.

Now, I do not know that this is a memory exhaustion issue, but I know I fear one.

I have been one of the founding fathers of the kick Shareport to the curb club for a while now.  Then again the only thing I want my gateway to do in an ideal world is NAT and routing, no one makes products for me.

Shareport was added because it was the lightest way to add the features that people were DEMANDING, I put this in caps cause about the time we started this forum, every thread was "My DIR-655 works great but add NAS to the DIR-655" or "Add Print Server functionality to the DIR-655".  It was aggravating feeling I was the only one who wanted to use a router as a router and no more.

C'est le vive!
non progredi est regredi

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »

Jason, every day I visit here I learn something new. The error in question resembled something I've seen from Windows. My answer was my best WAG (wild *** guess) work. Sometimes I actually know what I'm talking about. On other occasions, Xinot will point out the flaw in my logic with laser like precision. I should call him "Mack the knife" because he can slice me up like roast beef and in such a nice way that when he's through I'm left wondering "I'm not sure, but did he just call me an idi*t?". Moral of the story: sometimes I make guesses and if they are wrong I will undoubtedly learn something when someone posts the real answer. If you ever see me correcting anyone it is only because I am dead-level certain that I am right. There's a lot of frustration in this thread. I hope relief is not far away.
I'm learning also Clancy but the problem is the older I get the more I forget..dang waht was I talking about?  >:(
This whole thread is crazy as I had mentioned in my replay to Fatmans comment, it may not be any users problem, it may be just Dlink pushing the chipset and memory of the router.
Ofcourse their are people on this thread that dose not have a problem and are treating others like dumb a**es. Thats fine, good for them! I'm sure I could tweak a few settings that I may not have a complete understanding about but I never had an issue or problem until after 1.11fw.
The bad thing is there are so many different config.'s, times like this you have to back track to narrow down the issues. I may be wrong but I'm sticking to shareport to start. :'(

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »

Correct, it is the router's not the PC's resources which matter here.  I was trying to confirm that we are no longer in the days of static memory maps.  Which is what I feared was meant.

Now, I do not know that this is a memory exhaustion issue, but I know I fear one.

I have been one of the founding fathers of the kick Shareport to the curb club for a while now.  Then again the only thing I want my gateway to do in an ideal world is NAT and routing, no one makes products for me.

Shareport was added because it was the lightest way to add the features that people were DEMANDING, I put this in caps cause about the time we started this forum, every thread was "My DIR-655 works great but add NAS to the DIR-655" or "Add Print Server functionality to the DIR-655".  It was aggravating feeling I was the only one who wanted to use a router as a router and no more.

C'est le vive!
The Ideal of router resouces being depleted makes sense to me with all the odd-ball issues people are having.
Grant it we are only end users for the most part, I'm in no way a network tech or computer tech but through google I manage. ;D
Early in the posts I was reading how somebody was tracking some of the resources used, maybe it was just inbound & outbound, total connections..etc but to get to the point. Can you find out if there is a treshold? Just like with torrents, to many connections the rest of the network slows and the wife is screaming @ me. ;D To many processes and the router may be doing the same.
I know yourself & Lycan has been dealing with silly & stupid & crazy questions with the lasts few FW releases, maybe it could be this simple to explain to the PM. This could help explain the unexplained.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:47:21 PM by jason1722x »

partach1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »

Thanks for the help you guys then give....
But hard to imagine you are not on the DLink payroll... why else do this?
It says forum.dlink.com..... Kinda creates expectations...
... and you expect to get support here because you can't get it elswhere at Dlink it seems....

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »

partach1

I fill your pain but looking @ it from Dlinks prospective, this is not their only product or business. However I'm sure they sold alot of Dir 655 because it's (was for most)a good product. Until the firmware issues. Which for myself I can deal with for now, they'll (Dlink) will have another released firmware soon.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »

Thanks for the help you guys then give....
But hard to imagine you are not on the DLink payroll... why else do this?
It says forum.dlink.com..... Kinda creates expectations...
... and you expect to get support here because you can't get it elswhere at Dlink it seems....

Perhaps I was unclear, Those of us who have Mod or Tech badges under out names are on D-Link payroll.  But we are not here as Tech Support.  We are here as individuals.  The only thing we do here that is D-Link assigned is modding duties, beyond that we are at liberty to post or not when and where it amuses us.  And when we do post it is as ourselves, not as a D-Link representative.

There is Tech Support available, call the number on the box.  I believe you mentioned having had a bad experience there, but that can be looked in to.  If you need to communicate with D-Link then call CS or TS.  If you want to know where a forum is that some of D-Links most advanced users (regardless of payroll) hang out come on in.

This site is operated by D-Link, but it is not a TS portal, it is a place for users to convene and either discuss D-Link products or assist each other.
non progredi est regredi

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

So it looks like the same kind of unstability (always a few days) but different symptom with 1.32 (al other versions it starts with DNS relay ALG stuff; cutting off internet)

partach1, have you looked into this?

This text has been blatantly ripped from dsl reports.

From funchords:

And even with DNS Relay disabled, you're still getting the following? :

[INFO] Fri Dec 02 10:05:50 2005 DNS Relay ALG rejected UDP packet from 192.168.0.150:1381 to 67.21.13.6:53
[WARN] Fri Dec 02 10:05:50 2005 Packet Dropped waiting to resolve MAC for IP 192.168.0.150

Hmmm.

Can you look at the eventvwr.msc (assumes XP) and take a look and see if you have any error messages regarding DNS registration failures? This is a weak area of knowledge for me, technically, but I do know that DNS queries typically occur a lot faster than one every 10-15 minutes or so. But 10-15 minutes sounds like the right interval for DNS Registration retries.

Read this KB article:  »http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305553&sd=tech

Take a look at the section entitled "How to modify DNS dynamic update behavior" and make sure that "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" is unchecked.

Hope that helps -- or at least gives us a lead ...

Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

I have been one of the founding fathers of the kick Shareport to the curb club for a while now.  Then again the only thing I want my gateway to do in an ideal world is NAT and routing, no one makes products for me. ...

I agree. Get rid of it. Router stability, and performance is paramount.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21