• March 28, 2024, 01:39:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DHCP stopped working on DIR-890L when I started using static addresses  (Read 15799 times)

peterpressure

• Level 1 Member

I setup my DIR-890L today and everything was going well until I set up 2 webcams and set the ip addresses as static from the DIR-890L web UI.
After that DHCP no longer worked for any new devices I connected over wifi to the DIR-890L. Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV and B&N nook would no longer connect.

I was using the default ip address ranges so that was not the issue, the static addresses were 192.168.0.81 and .82

So anyways, I reset the DIR-890L to factory defaults and did not set any static addresses and the issue went away.

These threads helped:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=60220.0

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61969.0

I am running fw 1.02 and my ISP is ATT Uverse in NA.
The  DIR-890L is connected to a 2wire 3800hgv-b in bridge mode for the WAN connection.

Also I sure wish when using smart connect that I could tell what band my devices actually did connect on.
Also automatic channel selection does not seem to work well, always picks channel 11 for 2.4 even though my neighborhood is filed with channel 11 APs.

Expected more from the most expensive WiFi router I could find at Fry's ;)

I will avoid static IPs for now...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:03:30 AM by peterpressure »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

You might updating FW to v1.03 using the following process please:
>FW Update Process

I'm currently using a few static IPs with my 890L and have not experienced any other DHCP issues. I have a Printer, Camera and NAS set on static IPs. All outside the DHCP default address pool.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

peterpressure

• Level 1 Member

What region are you located?
I am running fw 1.02 and my ISP is ATT Uverse in NA.
I'm currently using a few static IPs with my 890L and have not experienced any other DHCP issues. I have a Printer, Camera and NAS set on static IPs. All outside the DHCP default address pool.

Do I need to change the DHCP pool then set to static perhaps? I had them as 192.168.0.81 and .82 which is in the default pool I was using.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

The default DHCP Address pool is 192.168.0.100 to .199. So if you used those static IPs, those should be good. If you changed the default pool for any reason which includes those static IP addresses you listed, then you should change back or move the static IP addresses so that they are not with in the default pool range.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

morber

• Level 1 Member

Support advised me to NOT go beyond 1.02 firmware because of so many other problems showing up.

My checklist of the basics that should be there and are NOT:
1. DCHP that works - mine won't work. I have to go to each device and manually setup a static ipaddr to get it to work. But on devices where I can't do that, I can't use them.
2. An easy way to enter IN ADVANCE mac addrs and ipaddr assigned to it.
3. A way to NOT allow someone into network instead of waiting for them to show up and be noticed before you can kick then out.
4. be able to have a list of ALLOWED mac addrs - which would take care of a few of the above.
5. Change the auto-logout to be aware of use and suspend timer for X minutes (and we should be able to set that number up) before logging you out. It does it while you are in the middle of making an entry! Then you not only lose what you were doing, but you have to log back in and navigate back to where you were.
6. When it does "time out", the screen should reset instead of staying open because shortly after it times out, you get a big RED check and warning that your internet connection is down.
7. basic reports - old fashioned lists. Fancy graphs are cool, but don't replace reports. Even the DIR=655 was great for letting you see most everything that was going on and how everything was setup. The DIR-890L won't let you see any of that good stuff.
8. Admit the GUI is a simple interface and add a real admin user that can get in and tweak it the way we should - awesome hardware, crappy software.

That's my basic wish list - can add more if needed. :-)
As far as I'm concerned, the hardware was ready for prime time - and shame on D-Link for putting pre-beta software on it and calling it "good enough".

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Support advised me to NOT go beyond 1.02 firmware because of so many other problems showing up.  Its recommended to update to the Security patch v1.06. It does have some new features in it. One being adding in a reservation by MAC address.

My checklist of the basics that should be there and are NOT:
1. DCHP that works - mine won't work. I have to go to each device and manually setup a static ipaddr to get it to work. But on devices where I can't do that, I can't use them. Its recommended to update to the Security patch v1.06. It does have some new features in it. One being adding in a reservation my MAC address. I have a few Static IP addressed devices and have not seen any issues with them. Ones a Print, Camera and a NAS.
2. An easy way to enter IN ADVANCE mac addrs and ipaddr assigned to it. Its recommended to update to the Security patch v1.06. It does have some new features in it. One being adding in a reservation my MAC address.
3. A way to NOT allow someone into network instead of waiting for them to show up and be noticed before you can kick then out.
4. be able to have a list of ALLOWED mac addrs - which would take care of a few of the above. Not supported by this model router.
5. Change the auto-logout to be aware of use and suspend timer for X minutes (and we should be able to set that number up) before logging you out. It does it while you are in the middle of making an entry! Then you not only lose what you were doing, but you have to log back in and navigate back to where you were. Not supported by any D-Link router.
6. When it does "time out", the screen should reset instead of staying open because shortly after it times out, you get a big RED check and warning that your internet connection is down. Be sure to clear the browsers cache. What is your ISP Mfr and model model?
7. basic reports - old fashioned lists. Fancy graphs are cool, but don't replace reports. Even the DIR=655 was great for letting you see most everything that was going on and how everything was setup. The DIR-890L won't let you see any of that good stuff. The 890L has changed this in this regard and probably designed for more or of the average home user and simplified UI.
8. Admit the GUI is a simple interface and add a real admin user that can get in and tweak it the way we should - awesome hardware, ****py software.
There maybe some new features in the works however my not be to the leve that you maybe used to seen in older D-Link routers.
That's my basic wish list - can add more if needed. :-)
As far as I'm concerned, the hardware was ready for prime time - and shame on D-Link for putting pre-beta software on it and calling it "good enough".

The router has been stellar for me and aside the reservation issues seen early on, D-Link has corrected these issues and both DHCP services and the router have been working very well.  I recommended to update to the Security patch v1.06 and see how yours operates after that. It does have some new features in it. One being adding in a reservation my MAC address. There is more to come.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:15:25 PM by FurryNutz »

morber

• Level 1 Member

In the release notes for 1.06 the ONLY thing mentioned is a security patch. 
Now it sounds like a lot of other issues are being addressed - but how are we supposed to know it?  Hello - how about doing real release notes?
Traditional release notes list all the tweaks/issued addressed so we know what to expect or if we can skip a minor update.

Disappointed to hear that such an awesome piece of hardware only has plans for a simple GUI - it badly needs a power user interface!

Since the recommendation here is to try 1.06, will try it but don't like not knowing what was fixed and what issues are still open.

BTW - forget using email option for support. It seems they go into dev/null and are never responded to. Such a shame to waste a form that is pretty well ahead of many other support sites. However, seeing as the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, it should not be a surprise. Looks like the only way to get any info is via the forums - just have to keep in mind "your mileage will vary".

Thasnks

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

There will be a full on release forth coming. The Security patch is meant to quickly close the security issues seen. It may include or not include other stuff that was already in the works and in development which are not included in the release notes. So closing the the security problems is most important and you may get additional items which are not stated and maybe upon the next full non-security FW update.

Many users have expressed there desires for a more advanced menu UI. D=Link is aware of it. I presume it all surrounds what D-Link HQ wanted to do with this model router and future of there routers and the UI. Some of it is designed around the average home user and some a bit less with more advanced users. Maybe some users just want a good router and not have to fiddle with it much yet want the bells and whistles that the 890L has. Some new features have been added and some have not been as of yet and may or may not be added. It's there product and they design it as they wish. User input is valued and recommended to phone contact them to express there desires, concerns and requests for features.

v1.06 is good and works well.  ;) Please follows the >FW Update Process for loading any FW on any router.

I always recommend using phone over email support.  ::)

morber

• Level 1 Member

Update - the "security fix only" patch 1.06 seems to have also addressed the DHCP issues we have been seeing.

But, dang where is the management abilities? using the mydlink app or web interface is stripped of any functionality other than block a device or reboot. In addition, the devices show as mac numbers and the names assigned on the router itself is not picked up on app or web interface.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Please post a picture if what your seeing:
Adding Screenshots In A Post

Glad the other problem is fixed for you.

morber

• Level 1 Member

well, screenshot would match before shot - devices lined up across the top and the blank QoS boxes below it. Can move devices to the boxes, save it and we have the same screenshot of the before - it's either not saving or ?????

As to the comments about casual users verses those that want tighter/better control. Understand the intent, but what should be done is have at least two or three "levels" of admin. Basic/casual (what it currently is), Home admin (med level - more detail, but stay with gui that is a bit more compressed, and Power user - have access to most everything like we used to on the older DIR's (love my DIR-655 even with it's short comings) - it would be more list driven than gui driven.

A second look at what a Basic/casual user wants to be able to do should also be done - some of the assumptions that were made look like they need to be tweaked or updated.

As to not documenting what's in a release - understand the need for getting a security patch out, but most software development applications can easily create a list of things fixed/touched - IF the programmers are documenting well (which mostly never happens - but when pushed to do it, do enough to get mgmt off their back). This last release 1.06 is a great example of why better release notes are needed.

BTW - we can't see the build version of the software - all we can see is 1.06 - so can't tell if running the most recent version of 1.06 - it should show the full build number.

Yeah, I can seem to be demanding, etc. However, I also think it's reasonable to expect a $330 product to do what it is advertised to do. It is a long way from being able to manage from anywhere as advertised.  When customers take the time to comment, it shows we are interested in making the product better. What I don't get is why we're told to avoid using email and instead call or chat. No document trail to follow I guess. The support people I chatted with (online and voice) were basically tier 1 and could not answer basic questions AND two promises to either call me back or email me within 48 hours were never kept.  I know email to support is never answered, so why have that option? So far, the best place for info has been here on the forums. Thankfully!!
I have always told my people that customers are NOT a pain, they are who we work for - without them we would not have jobs. We are there to help them and ensure they are happy so they remain customers. Wish more companies thought that way.

morber

• Level 1 Member

I like the new "add" button for adding clients ahead of time - awesome.

Now the bad part - you are limited to 24 client entries.
That limit is nuts in this day and age. With each person having 2-5 devices, a home network with pc's and nas, home ent system, range extenders, and other devices like cameras, monitoring devices, Nest devices, etc.  A typical home with 3 people can easily have over 30 devices to connect.

Is this limit of 24 going to go away?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

24 is the norm for D-Link routers, been that way for a while now. Ya, we know and so does D-Link. Not sure why reservations are a bit higher.

You can help with this limitation some by setting static IP addresses on devices that don't need reservations or any router management. Items like printers, NAS, controllers and low priority devices like phones or PCs that don't need much of anything or don't use high bandwidth, set those for static IP addressed out side of the DHCP IP address pool. This help free up reservations> DHCP - Static IP Addresses

Not all devices have to be reserved.  ::)

morber

• Level 1 Member

Thanks - yeah, that 24 device limit sucks.  It was was probably enough 15-20 years ago.

Stepping back a bit - what is really needed is the ability to filter on mac addresses. Then the worry about someone getting into your network pretty well goes away - both wired as well as wireless. The ability to now at least name devices based on mac addr helps a bit - unauthorized devices will show up as unknown - but that's like closing the barn doors after the horses get out.

The notification email options are nice BUT dang, it's a lot of email. There should be a second set of options that would send email notification if an unknown/named device connects or tries to connect. I really don't care about authorized devices connecting. I do care about certain devices connecting and disconnecting (cameras, motion sensors, baby monitors, etc.) but should have the option to only be notified about those either connecting or disconnecting. Disconnecting could mean either power loss at home or someone messing with it.

For giggles I made a short list of "devices" one person would typically have - and keep in mind some devices are both wireless and wired so each has a different mac addr - and I easily came up with a dozen per person. Also did a list of common "home" devices (including cameras, sensors, media devices, pc's, range extenders (2 mac addrs each) and it was easy to list over 20 mac addr's needed.  So a family of 3 would have close to 60 mac addrs for their various devices. That is big number to deal with - so if we could add  a "group" code" to help manage/sort to the device info, that would be great - limit it to 5 or 6 groups - single digit (could be pre-set to A, B, C etc) as long as we could add a lobel to it so it would be easy to classify and view.

My preference is for security to keep out the unwanted, not find out about them getting in, kicking them out and wondering what they got into.

Pages: [1] 2