• April 19, 2024, 03:23:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: yet another noob question - autocrossover in 320L?  (Read 1578 times)

rockandroller

• Level 1 Member
yet another noob question - autocrossover in 320L?
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »

Does the 320L do autosensing (makes cross-over out of standard cable?)
Or is the supplied blue cable actually a crossover one?

I don't have a switch, and originally set up by plugging the 320L into the back of my wireless router.
(with wifi to notebook)
Got crummy transfer speeds (5MB/s) but it worked.

Read about how you need to be  'wired' to do firmware update - so today borrowed an old hub from work. The thing was incredibly crazy slow (file transfers of <1MB/s). On a lark, I tried the supplied cable direct to my notebook, in case my notebook LAN port maybe did autoswitching. Surprisingly, it worked. Now I'm wondering if it's the 320L, the notebook - or perhaps the supplied cable is actually a crossover?

Transfer speed is limited to 10 or 11 MB/s though - not sure if its an auto-crossover artifact, or if I have something else badly configured. Drives should be pretty fast (brand new WD Green) so I was expecting more like 20-40...

PS: sadly, I see this DELL "7720" notebook only has a 10/100 LAN card installed  :-(
Why a two-year-old otherwise fairly high-end machine would NOT come with gigabit Ethernet is beyond me...

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:37:58 AM by rockandroller »