• March 28, 2024, 12:24:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to set my new WBR 2310 to join an existing wireless network?  (Read 11284 times)

liche2000

The firmware version of this router is 1.04. I enabled the Acess Point option and set it to use the same SSID and security key as the existing wireless network. But the desktop connected to 2310 can't get the DHCP IP from the remote router.
Can anybody help me fix this issue? Thanks

nlitell

• Level 1 Member
Re: How to set my new WBR 2310 to join an existing wireless network?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »

The simple answer is that you can't.  It sounds like you are trying to use the 2310 as a repeater, which it is not and cannot be made to work as.

Look at pages 12-13 of the manual.  AP mode on the 2310 is intended to provide a new wireless access capability to an existing wired-access network -- hence the name "access point."  You basically configure the 2310 to NOT serve as a router, then plug it into an Ethernet router to provide the network with wireless access.  The Ethernet router still controls the network, but the 2310 in AP mode essentially creates a new wireless path into the existing Ethernet router instead of having to physically plug new devices into the router via Ethernet cable.

>Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Access Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:57:32 PM by FurryNutz »