• April 18, 2024, 04:26:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WBR-2310 and SUPER G  (Read 14864 times)

iancuct

WBR-2310 and SUPER G
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »

More or less facts:
1) wireless G routers 54mbits have a known throughput of anywhere from 20 to 25mbits= 2.5mb/s
2) wireless Super G routers of 108 have a known throughput of anywhere from 40 to 60=4.5mb/s to 6mb/2
3) wireless N have much higher throughput using the right wireless N card or adapter = > then 4.0mb/s

these fact are true if you have a good connection around 100% signal strength.

WBR-2310 has 3 modes

1) Disabled
2) SUper G without Turbo
3) Super G with dynamic Turbo.

----------------------------------------
I have a SuperG pci card.
If i set the router to 1) Disabled  my wireless connects at 54mbits
if i set the router to 2) Super G without Turbo my wireless connects at 54mbits
if i set the router to 3) Super G with Dynamic Turbo my wireless computer connects at 108mbits

Problem when option 3) is selected only channel 6 is allowed, which is a problem since channel 6 is busy where i live and i get about 2.5mb/s throughput even though i am connected at 108mbits

So i change the router setting to 2) Super G without Turbo, where i can choose my own broadcast channel
however my connection drops to 56Mbits

Shouldn't Super G connect at 108? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can i connect at 108mbits and chose my own radio channel to broadcast on????

Please help

fusch

• Level 1 Member
  • GO CANES!
Re: WBR-2310 and SUPER G
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »

Hi iancuct,

I too noticed that with the WBR-2310 firmware, if you select Super G without Turbo, you can select any wireless channel, but your speed is only 54Mbps.

Instead of downloading the Russian firmware as suggested by XPhile in other forums, I tried downloading the firmware for the DI-624 from D-Link's website (http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DI-624_revD). I used firmware version 4.04 dated 6/13/2007. The interface does not look like that of the WBR-2310 like the Russian firmware, but it has all the same features and options. Some things are in different locations, but look around and you will find everything there (at least I found all the config options I needed).

The great news is that with this firmware you can select Super G without Turbo and pick your own wireless channel and still get 108Mbps! Also, the wireless is very stable. I have not seen any disconnects and download speeds are better than with the WBR-2310 firmware.

Hope this works for you.

-FUSCH
Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.
-Flap's Law

iancuct

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 12:44:13 AM »

I updated the router with the firmware you told me.

Everything is stable just like with the russian firmware

However my pci wireless superG card still only connects at 54mbits

what settings do you have for wireless?  maybe i have something enabled that doesn't allow it
to go into 108mbits mode.

iancuct

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »

i have it set to chanel 11 conected at 54mbits
and its uploading 4Gigs of small files around 1mb-3mb files @ 3MB/second

which means its above 30mbits but nowhere near the 40 to 60 that 108mbits that SuperG its supposed to give me at 100% signal strenght.

fusch

• Level 1 Member
  • GO CANES!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »

what settings do you have for wireless?  maybe i have something enabled that doesn't allow it
to go into 108mbits mode.

I have my wireless on channel 11 and auto select off.
Super G without Turbo.
Extended Range Mode, WMM, 802.11g only all disabled.
SSID broadcast enabled.
WPA-Auto w/ PSK security.

On the Tools>>Misc page I have everything Enabled and WAN select to 10/100Mbps Auto.

My wireless card is reporting the 108.0Mbps connection speed. I have an Atheros AR5005GS card. I have not done any comparison speed tests between 54Mbps and 108Mbps modes to see if there is an actual difference.
Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.
-Flap's Law

iancuct

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »

I set up everything with exactly the same firmware and same settings as you.
I have a TrendNet TEW-441PI It uses the same Atheros driver.
However I still connect only at 54mbits  and only if i change to Dynamic Turbo
I get 108.

"Based on the information that we have the chipset is as follows.
TEW-443PI A/A1.1R = Atheros AR2414"

My question to you is what version of driver do you have for your Atheros AR5005GS?
When is it dated?  So probably the chipset that you have is different then mine.

Do you think this could explain why I don't connect at 108 in non Turbo mode?

Also if you have some time can you simply do a file transfer and observe the throuput?

I get about 2.4-2.8mb/s.  If you have vista you can see the throughput numbers in realtime
as the file transfers, using vista filecopy
I have my wireless on channel 11 and auto select off.
Super G without Turbo.
Extended Range Mode, WMM, 802.11g only all disabled.
SSID broadcast enabled.
WPA-Auto w/ PSK security.

On the Tools>>Misc page I have everything Enabled and WAN select to 10/100Mbps Auto.

My wireless card is reporting the 108.0Mbps connection speed. I have an Atheros AR5005GS card. I have not done any comparison speed tests between 54Mbps and 108Mbps modes to see if there is an actual difference.