• April 15, 2024, 10:45:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to connect network printer to WBR-2310?  (Read 8501 times)

fusch

• Level 1 Member
  • GO CANES!
How to connect network printer to WBR-2310?
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »

Hi all,

I have a Brother MFC-5440CN printer with built-in ethernet networking. I'm trying to hook it up to my WBR-2310 wireless router via ethernet cable so that I can print wirelessly. I was able to set it up back when I had a 2Wire modem/router with AT&T DSL. Now I have the WBR-2310 router hooked up to my Comcast cable modem.

I've tried connecting the printer to the router via ethernet cable, but the router does not seem to recognize it (the printer does not appear in the "Dynamic DHCP Client List" in the Setup/Network Settings screen). Since all my other devices have DHCP reservations with numbers other than 100, I assumed the router would assign it the IP address 192.168.0.100, even if it was not showing in the list. On my computer, I tried adding a local printer with a TCP/IP port with IP address 192.168.0.100, but it does not detect the printer.

Are there settings that need to be changed on the WBR-2310 to allow printing (ports opened, rules or firewall settings)? I don't have Network Magic and don't think that it's necessary just to add a printer with built-in networking.

Any help or comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.
-Flap's Law

cloon

• Level 2 Member
Re: How to connect network printer to WBR-2310?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »

Hi,
   I would check back my printer settings, maybe your previous setup used a static IP. Firewall settings/port forwarding would be usefull only if you tried to reach your printer from outside your local network. 
You can try an other wire from a device that is working properly. ( you may be using a crossover )
You can also check if you did not enable mac filtering in Advanced/Network filter.  I`m getting obvious here but  who knows  :)

Hope this helped...

fusch

• Level 1 Member
  • GO CANES!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »

Thanks.

I don't have MAC filtering turned on. And I'm sure the ethernet cable is fine because it works when I hook my laptop to it. Perhaps I need to create a home network (Windows network) to be able to see the printer and share it?

FUSCH
Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.
-Flap's Law

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

you can try turning on the UPnP on your PC to see if the computer can find it for you!

fusch

• Level 1 Member
  • GO CANES!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know I got it figured out. DHCP was disabled on the printer. I manually entered my network info on my printer (IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server) and then added a DHCP reservation for my printer's MAC address for that same IP address in my router config. Now I can print wirelessly straight from my router without needing to buy a print server.
-Flap's Law