• April 23, 2024, 11:51:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Getting rid of invalid "Fan Can't Rotate" message (in 1.04)  (Read 7062 times)

dmw-01

• Level 1 Member
Getting rid of invalid "Fan Can't Rotate" message (in 1.04)
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »

Is there any way of getting rid of the invalid "fan can't rotate" error message that is filling up the log file in 1.04?  I see that it is fixed in 1.05b1 but I'd rather not go to a beta if there is another way.  Is there any update on getting a 1.05 generally released any time soon (or when it might be)?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Getting rid of invalid "Fan Can't Rotate" message (in 1.04)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »

Is there any way of getting rid of the invalid "fan can't rotate" error message that is filling up the log file in 1.04?  I see that it is fixed in 1.05b1 but I'd rather not go to a beta if there is another way.  Is there any update on getting a 1.05 generally released any time soon (or when it might be)?

Updating to firmware version 1.05b01 is the only way to fix the "fan can't rotate" error. There is no word from D-Link as to when an official release (i.e. non-beta) version of firmware v1.05b01 will be made available.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:49:12 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

rascheri

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »

How stable is the 1.05b1 version?  Is it something that we can start using...i.e. pretty stable?  I don't mind if it reboots a bit or locks up every once in awhile...as long as my data doesn't get corrupted...

rascheri

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »

As for the "Fan Can't Rotate" message in 1.04. Is this really only a bug in the software?  I noticed that when this message is displayed that the fans really do turn off.  But I believe this is OK as they are supposed to turn on only when needed?  Is this correct?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »

How stable is the 1.05b1 version?  Is it something that we can start using...i.e. pretty stable?  I don't mind if it reboots a bit or locks up every once in awhile...as long as my data doesn't get corrupted...

I have been using firmware v1.05b01 in two DNS-343s since the firmware was released this past June (give or take) without any issues, system hangs, or loss of data integrity. I should point out that all 8 HDDs in my two DNS-343s are configured as Standard Volumes.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »

As for the "Fan Can't Rotate" message in 1.04. Is this really only a bug in the software?  I noticed that when this message is displayed that the fans really do turn off.  But I believe this is OK as they are supposed to turn on only when needed?  Is this correct?

Yes, the fans are supposed to cycle on/off as required to cool the DNS-343. My understanding is that the "Fan Can't Rotate" error in firmware v1.04 is purely erroneous and was programmed out of the firmware in v1.05b01, which (if true) would make the error more of a nuisance rather than a data compromising bug.

dmw-01

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »

I guess my main issues with the bad message are:
1) if the fan really isn't working you won't know right away.
2) the log file fills up with this bad message so you miss other messages that MAY be critical.

Any hint at an expected eta for an official 1.05?  Thanks for the info. on the current user experience!!

Thanks!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

No word of any forthcoming official release following firmware v1.05b01. From everything I've read on this forum (including my own experience), firmware version 1.05b01 appears to be at least as stable as v1.04 and corrects the "fan can't rotate" error.

blairblends

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »

I finally just went from 1.03 to 1.04 this past afternoon...and now things have gone weird.

I made a backup before I took the plunge, and I haven't lost any data from the NAS, but these weird things have started happening:

- It's flashing "CAUTION:  Disk is full" even though I'm nowhere NEAR capacity.  (This shows in the logs, too, weirdly.)  I can't make this go away, even after disabling the option in the administration page to never warn about that.  Bleh.

- I'm getting the "fan can't rotate" error...and suddenly the fans aren't coming on, either...as best I can tell.

Does anyone know if it's possible to go BACK to 1.03?  Also, how can I tell if my fans are broken?  It seems unlikely to me that they'd both be working fine for two years then suddenly BOTH give out the same day I did a firmware upgrade.

From what I read, I really WANT to ignore the fan message, but they haven't come on even when I do some heavy writing to the NAS.  I'm watching the temperature closely, and it's fine, but still...this make me VERY nervous.

:)

Thanks, guys.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 05:00:26 AM »

I finally just went from 1.03 to 1.04 this past afternoon...and now things have gone weird.

I made a backup before I took the plunge, and I haven't lost any data from the NAS, but these weird things have started happening:

- It's flashing "CAUTION:  Disk is full" even though I'm nowhere NEAR capacity.  (This shows in the logs, too, weirdly.)  I can't make this go away, even after disabling the option in the administration page to never warn about that.  Bleh.

- I'm getting the "fan can't rotate" error...and suddenly the fans aren't coming on, either...as best I can tell.

Does anyone know if it's possible to go BACK to 1.03?  Also, how can I tell if my fans are broken?  It seems unlikely to me that they'd both be working fine for two years then suddenly BOTH give out the same day I did a firmware upgrade.

Let's address each item:

• Yes you can move back to firmware v1.03
  • The "Fan can't rotate" error is erroneous and afflicts close to 100% of DNS-343 users who upgraded from firmware v1.03 to v1.04. D-Link was informed of this error and resolved the issue in firmware v1.05b01
  • The volume full messages start when the DNS-343 drops below 10% unused storage space (or is > 90% full). I explain this further in your other post where you provided your HDD metrics: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=45061.0. The disk is full message looks like a coincidence since you "just" barely exceeded 90% of your usable storage space.