• April 27, 2024, 06:31:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Extender Media library update  (Read 3853 times)

bfull1478

• Level 1 Member
Extender Media library update
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »

I have had this product for over a year and still don't understand a few things.  When I add new music to my music directory on my media center pc it never seems to update the extender.  I have to remove the watched folders from the extender and then re-enable them and do the initial search again.  Is there any way to force an update so my extender updates with Media Center on that pc.  The other thing I don't understand, is how or what determines what features work on the extender.  If you pull up media center on vista you have tons of links and media options.  But the extender doesn't have that many at all.  I also noticed that now the sports channel on the extender doesn't work.  When you try to launch it, it says this can't be viewed with the extender.  My question is why the heck is it on there then.   This whole extender thing seemed really cool at first but it is lacking support and it doesn't seem like there have been any real improvements.  My guess is that this whole technology will die out.  You can buy small pc's really cheap and I think folks will just start hooking their pc's directly to theie televisions.  The only reason I didn't do it in first place was that I have a rear projection TV and when I hooked it up it looked like crap.  Now with all the large lcds/plasmas there doesn't seem to be the need like there was before. 

Anyways, if anyone has any answers to my two questions it would be appreciated.
thanks,

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
Re: Extender Media library update
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:49:37 AM »

I'm at work so I cannot look it up on my media center pc.
In the settings options for media center you have to change your poll interval.  I remember it being something like midnight daily.  in the same area there is a rescan option.

The other is how microsoft defined extenders.  there are ways to publish more... I have published the "my movies" application to the extender and it works great, I just wish it could play what was in the DVD drive of the PC to the extender.

Extenders are great.  I'm also going to do a PC on the TV.  I have the extender and I have a DNS-323 attached to my network.  idea being large storage accessible to all on the network and media streaming.
I'll still have this after I put the pc in place and will still use the extender.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Extender Media library update
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

The extender runs its own profile its folders for sharing are separate from your MCE profile on your PC. As for sports channel. I'm sorry I do not have a TV card to check this out but this limitation may need to be addressed my Microsoft.

Maybe somebody can can see if this is a limitation on XBox360 as well being used as an extender.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream