• April 25, 2024, 06:15:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bizzare RAID 1 Failure  (Read 2254 times)

Ragesong

• Level 1 Member
Bizzare RAID 1 Failure
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »

While I was backing up my files from my DNS-323 (FW version 1.09) with dual 2TB WD Caviar Greens onto a USB drive, one of the WD drives failed in the middle of the backup.  About one-half of the files got transferred.  I went to recover the other files from the still functional drive, when I realized that the functional drive had NO FILES on it from before September, 2013.  It was as though this drive were frozen in time at some date in September, with some of my files that I had been actively using and updating frozen in time as of a year ago.  I have tried several methods to recover files from the functional drive (Ubuntu, R-Studio, Power Data Recovery) and NONE of these can see any files on that drive from before September, 2013.  It is a catastrophic loss of data.  (I know I'll get flamed for waiting so long to do a backup...)

Though I don't have much hope of recovering the missing files, this is the strangest problem I've ever seen.  The only thing I can think of is that some FIRMWARE bug caused one of the two drives to be suspended as of September 2013, while the OTHER drive in the RAID 1 was fully functional until it died during the backup.  I KNOW that the DNS-323 was allowing full access to all files at the time of the WD's death, because I have the first half of the files backed up to the USB drive, and there are files on there as recent as the day of the backup.

Any theories would be appreciated!

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Bizzare RAID 1 Failure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:14:29 AM »

I suspect you are correct. The RAID sync failed for some reason and your "good" drive stopped being updated. I guess you did not enable the email notification of failures or you did not have anything else in place.

At this point personally I would concentrate on trying to get something off the "dead" drive.

3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.