• April 18, 2024, 11:42:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 and a PS3?  (Read 4337 times)

robtec88

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 and a PS3?
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »

How do I get the PS3 to "see" my DNS-323 so that I can access (stream) my movies, photos and music files on my TV and home theater?

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-323 and a PS3?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »

same, I'm setting up a 3rd for my brother-in-law... I haven't attempted yet, just finished setting up the nas and transferring files... so if I figure it out before a good reply, I'll post what I did.

mamurao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »

you only have to enable upnp on your router, and ps3 will discover the media share dns-323 ,

Conehead

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »

So if the PS3 is connected to the wireless router, and the wireless router is hardwired to the DNS-323, the PS3 will be able to connect to it?

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »

You need media server software working on your nas.
1. Media has to be in format ps3 actually understands, so no .iso, .mkv, .ape, .flac, .shn and .ogg files. Transcoding is not something DNS-323 is cut out for.
2. Movies with dts sound must be tinkered with (mostly).
3. Sometimes you have to mess around with filename extensions to get streaming to work (.mp4 -> .mpg or .mpeg, sometimes the other way round).
4. Sometimes files which should be supported (some .wmv, .avi and divx) do not play.
5. If you use wired connection, better use gigabit, not fastethernet. 1080p movies streamed well over wifi, not-so-good over fastethernet (100 Mb/s), perfect over gigabit ethernet. Maybe it is resolved with newer ps3 fw, can't say. Seemed like buffering issue.
6. You are better off with twonky than with built-in upnp server (which is some castrated form of mediatomb clone knockoff). Your media database actually updates itself and does it quickly. Older versions (5.*) even allowed media playback after trial period expired (through ps3 net browser interface). I don't know about 6.*, I successfully wrestled my cheapness and bought it.
7. I believe the router has nothing to do with it, as both devices (DNS-323 and ps3) are on local network.

Noxymoron

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »

I'm not sure what's going on with my PS3, but where I use to frequently stream music and video wirelessly between my DNS 323 and Ps3, I can't even detect it now. My computer can be seen, but the DNS 323 doesn't seem to exist, no matter how I try to refresh the upnp settings. Anyone else have a similar problem?

thanks.

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:45 AM »

So the PS3 sees the entire tree, and the files, but cannot play any .avi files.

They all have .avi* with the * at the end, and the properties all indicate very small files, that is, a 700mb movie file is listed at something like 23mb.
I also tried playing .mp4 with no success.

Suggestions?

The firmware/BIOS (whatever you call it) has not been recently updated on the PS3