• April 25, 2024, 04:57:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Format hangs at 97%  (Read 3085 times)

mcmillion

• Level 1 Member
Format hangs at 97%
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »

Back at firmware 1.04 or so there were a bunch of reports about the DNS-323 format process stalling at 94% (or 97% or 98% depending on the reporter...)   I was one of those who had this happen.  With firmware 1.05, the problem seemed to go away.

I'm now at firmware 1.08 and the problem has returned.  I have two new WS 1TB drives where the format will not finish.  The format bar hangs at 97% on both RAID 0 and RAID 1 formats.  If I abort the format and reboot the DNS-323, the drives appear to be formatted, but I'm wary of trusting them.

I searched the forums and never found a definitive fix for the problem.  I tried all the suggestions which I did find: run from a different browser, clear the partitions (none on my new drives...), etc.

Did anyone ever solve this problem?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Format hangs at 97%
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »

From what I've read, this is a disconnect between the Linux process actually formatting the drive and the GUI that is reporting the status.  Apparently, the drive has formatted.

I'll agree, it doesn't give you a lot of confidence when the display freezes when doing something like a format! :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.