• April 25, 2024, 06:37:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: connected UPS and now DNS wants to shut down  (Read 4557 times)

rvp819

• Level 1 Member
connected UPS and now DNS wants to shut down
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »

I recently tried linking my DNS-323's USB port to a UPS (CyberPower CPS425SL) but the DNS keeps giving the following warning message even though the UPS battery is at full charge and the DNS is the only item powered from it:

"AC power lost and the UPS works now . Please notice that NAS will be shutdown soon.Please check unfinished works and accomplish them to make sure data will not be lost." (Dlink's bad grammar, not mine)

Has anyone seen this warning with other UPS models? Does this mean the DNS does not recognize this model of UPS? Anyone else linked a CyberPower CPS425SL with success?

BTW I'm running the latest DNS beta firmware: 1.08b5 FW

Alexis

• Level 1 Member
Re: connected UPS and now DNS wants to shut down
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »

First al all, sorry about my writting English.
I have also my DNS323 connected to a UPS, but you don't need to
connect it throght USB.
Simply connect the main power to the UPS, and if you want to control
the UPS throught USB, connect it to the PC.
I think that the USB connector of DNS is only for printers.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »

Actually, the UPS monitoring capability of the DNS-323 is indeed accessed through the USB connection.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rvp819

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »

I have also my DNS323 connected to a UPS, but you don't need to connect it throght USB. Simply connect the main power to the UPS, and if you want to control the UPS throught USB, connect it to the PC. I think that the USB connector of DNS is only for printers.

As pointed out by gunrunnerjohn, the DNS can monitor the UPS via its USB, it's an undocumented feature but mentioned before in this forum. Other forum posters have even been successful with both a printer and a UPS on the single DNS USB port.

You're correct that the DNS does not need to monitor the UPS, but if it can, it will shut itself off before the UPS battery runs out. You're also correct that I could monitor the UPS with a PC, but the closest PC is two stories away, and such a setup won't shut down the DNS if the UPS runs out.

Thanks for the reply.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »

If you don't monitor the UPS, you might as well plug into the wall, since you get no controlled shutdown for a power failure. 

I guess the UPS will protect you from momentary power outages without a USB connection, but that's about it.

rvp819

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »

I guess the UPS will protect you from momentary power outages without a USB connection, but that's about it.

Much more than momentary power outages in my case ... My DNS is the only equipment powered from this UPS, and I've estimated it could run more than an hour on the UPS battery after power loss, considering the DNS won't get accessed during a power failure except for maybe the first few minutes, and after that the HDDs go into hibernation.

This covers over 90% of power outages I get at home. USB monitoring to cover the other 10% would be nice.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:34:12 AM »

That makes sense.  My DNS-321 in the basement is on a 900VA UPS with three other NDAS drives, the whole shooting match takes about 15 watts when in sleep mode.  I suspect they'd work for some time on that UPS as well.

My issue here is that I'm in a rural area where trees take down power lines a couple times a year, and that power outage lasts longer than my UPS endurance. :)  If I'm home and get the generator running in time, I'm fine, otherwise they'll surely lose power.