The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DSM-750

Bricked DSM-750

<< < (2/4) > >>

rob_t:
Damm, bad luck! I had my fingers crossed for you.

About the only "generic" item in the box is the power supply.

JavaLawyer:
If you're looking for a replacement device (and want to stick with D-Link) you should take a look at the Boxee Box.  Alternatively, Netgear offers a solid line of media players with great post-consumer support.

piscui:
Thank you both for your input.

I will look into Netgear's devices; I'm also considering some from WD. No more D-Link for me; the only usable D-Link device I have left is a DIR-825, which I really like but just because I was able to flash it with DD-WRT.

JavaLawyer:
Netgear is a very early player in this market, so their GUI is more functional than many of the other available brands. They also have a killer support forum and actually recruit active forum members to beta test hardware. The foot traffic in the support forums (both end-users and Netgear tech) is very high and make this forum look like a ghost town in comparison.

However, to be fair (and honest), from a usability perspective the Boxee Box pretty much overshadows every product I've seen to date, including Netgear.  So, you may not want to rule out D-Link when evaluating a replacement.

I strongly recommend you watch YouTube user-made product review videos for different brands. Many of these show the functionality and on-screen navigation flow, both of which are important in making a decision.

piscui:
Oh I know it is good, in fact I was thinking about getting one right before D-Link bought Boxee.

I might just go for some "El Cheapo" brand since I just need a few features for the intended TV. My main TV already has an embedded media player with a dual-band wireless adapter and literally plays anything I throw at it, plus comes with Netflix, YouTube, DailyMotion, Pandora... you name it. Heck I can even code my own apps for it!

Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't know Netgear had such a strong support. As for the GUI, I like eye-candy up to a certain extent. I'm a tech-oriented guy so I'd rather go with ugly and powerful than pretty and useless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version