The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DNS-323

Is the UPnP/DLNA directory structure part of DNS-323 or my device?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jamieburchell:
The first set of folders you see aren't in your control as far as I'm aware and are coded in the TV software.  Think of them as categories/file type filters. This also applies to the player mentioned.

jack468:

--- Quote ---I think this was introduced in 1.08 firmware, so if you're not running that (or later) you likely won't see the option.
--- End quote ---
Thank you Jamie, got it.

Gianni - The way I have mine setup is for each media type I have a folder. For example, I have /Videos/ and only put videos there, /Photos/ and only put photos there, and /Music/ and only put music there. And these three folders (and their subfolders) are in a parent folder /Media/ that I share for UPnP only. I don't share root because I have other items on the drive such as /Backup/.

When you use 'All Files' it shows all files filtered from all subfolders. When you use "Folder" you can browse through your folders.

It appears that Samsung is sloppy and you need to browse through more folders than necessary to get to where you want. For example, sometimes you need to select the main folder's name you are sharing... it should have just shown the items inside IMO. Also if you want to change media type, you must go all the way back to the initial Samsung menu. I don't get the point of their built-in folders when they already have large category icons on the main menu.

If you don't mind extra remote clicking I'd suggest organizing based on folders. I think it will be better especially for growing media and easier to transfer to the next device in the future.

gianni66:
Thanks for the answer.. :)
Ok, that right, but if in the root directory there are a lot of different files (different mime-types) I expect that, if I select "video" the filter-by-categories from tv read all files and show me only video files.
Why, instead, before this happen I must look another level with again the icons "video", "music" and photo and inside "video" I must select another link "all folders"?
This is the question, I don't know who and why added this double levels... I think the nas daemon is who but why? I don't know...

Hi
Gianni

TV : Video, Music, Photo
> I select Video
NAS: Video, Music, Photo
> I select Video
NAS : All folders, Folders
> I select All Folders
NAS: show me all files

gianni66:
Sorry Jack,
I haven't read your post before post myself
I'm going to try... :)

jack468:

--- Quote from: gianni66 on October 24, 2010, 01:53:36 PM ---This is the question, I don't know who and why added this double levels... I think the nas daemon is who

--- End quote ---

From what I understood from Jamie (who answered my initial question), those extra levels and folders are built-in to our Samsung devices. So there's nothing really we can do, unless Samsung releases a firmware in the future that improves the functionality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version