• April 25, 2024, 09:51:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 locked up and now wants to format!! HELP!  (Read 4929 times)

Summ0ns

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 locked up and now wants to format!! HELP!
« on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »

Hello All!

I tried to switch menus within the web GUI, and it locked up.  When I went to the 343, it had the Disk out of space message up, and was seemingly stuck.  After over an hour of inactivity, I shut it all down, and now the drives are inaccessible, and through the web GUI, the 343 is asking me to format them.  3 of the 4 drives were empty - 2.5TB total, and the last drive (Volume_1) had 800 to 900GB on it, on a 2TB drive.
     Reboots have had no effect.  I have gone from full unplugged to stable boot with no change.

DNS-343 fw1.03
2TB Seagate
500GB WD
2X 1TB WD

I really don't want to lose that data!!!
     Please help...
         Eric

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-343 locked up and now wants to format!! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »

As a first step, you can try resetting the DNS-343 to the factory default firmware.  This should not impact any of your drives or data.  If this method doesn't work, you can try recovering your data (see below).

I'm assuming here that each of your drives were formatted as standard volumes.  If you're looking for a pure data recovery solution for drives formatted as "standard volumes", here's one method that's worked well for me in the past:

(1) shut down the DNS-343
(2) remove all 4 drives (clearly label them so you know the slots they were originally located)
(3) place one drive in slot 1 (top slot) and boot
(4) you should see the data in slot one
(5) copy the data to a secure location
(6) Remove the drive from slot-1 and repeat steps 3,4,5 with the remaining drives (always use slot 1).

The DNS-343 should recognize any drive formatted as a standard volume that is placed in slot-1 (regardless of the slot it was originally formatted in)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:58:24 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Summ0ns

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:01:40 AM »

They were formated as standard volumes, but none the less this trick hasn't worked...  I only need to recover Volume_1 from slot 1.  Is there any way to view the data from a Windows XP computer?
     Regards,
            Eric

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »

DNS-343 formatted drives are readable on a Linux box.  I've read about other means of mounting them on Windows, but you'll have to search the forum for that solution.

BTW - did you remove the drives from slots 2-4 when you tried to read volume 1?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:26:37 AM »

Here's a thread describing a Windows-based solution to mount your drive:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3784.0

Summ0ns

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »

Well, now it gets fun...

I did have the other 3 drives out to try that first trick, and it did not work.  Just to be sure, I tried again after physically pulling the drive out of slot 1 and re-seating it.  No joy.

Next came the challenge of trying to find a SATA port in a computer.  I don't have!  I do have a SATA to USB dock though, so gave it a try along with the software suggested.

Now I see what the drive has for partitions, and it makes no sense - and I can't access them!  On a 2TB drive I apparently have a 1.4TB partition, a 1GB partition, and 2 more in the 500GB range for a total of 2.5TB  ??? 

I think I an screwed!  Unless I can find some software to rove the disks themselves and see what's there...

Any thoughts?

Regards,
         Eric

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »

Are you sure you read those numbers correctly?  I can see 1.4TB and 500MB, with some loss due to formatting, but another 1TB?  You sure that didn't read 1 MB?

Just curious, did you try accessing the data on any of the other HDDs?  I realize slot 1 was the critical volume, but what you've described thus far is very odd.