• April 19, 2024, 03:38:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Deleting Files in Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit doesn't free up space?  (Read 12456 times)

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member

I encountered a drive full email message from my NAS so I moved some files off Drive 2 (standard format) onto Drive 1 (standard format) and deleted about 50 GB of data that I didn't need anymore using Windows Explorer.

Unfortunately the drive doesn't seem to show the correct amount of room freed up for some reason.  After all that freeing up, it only shows that I have about 22.6 MB free.  Is there a trick to freeing the space back up?  It seems no matter how much I am deleting using Windows Explorer those GB's aren't freeing up.  I'm running the original firmware that came with the unit which is 2.00 I believe.

EDIT:  I just tried deleting some files using Web File Server, and sure enough it works there to free up space.  How do I regain the free space that was deleted using Windows Explorer?  Is that normal for the NAS not to recognize deleted space that was created by Windows Explorer?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:36:13 PM by JohnSmith »
Two DNS-320's (V2.00) with Hitachi 2TB drives
Windows 7 Home Premium / XP Pro

stuston

• Level 1 Member
Re: Deleting Files in Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit doesn't free up space?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Do you have the recycle bin turned on?  You would need to empty that also, before you would recover the space.

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I did locate some files in a Recycle Bin, but deleting those hasn't regained the amount of space that I deleted using Windows Explorer.  Does deleting in Windows Explorer work at freeing up space for everyone else using this DNS-320?  Is it just that I have maybe configured something wrong?

I see there's a Scan Disk function in the NAS, but it doesn't seem to have any utilities to correct missing space from deleted files.  Is there a "third party troubleshooting" utility that someone can recommend to scan for lost space?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:52:42 PM by JohnSmith »

mrgjburt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »

I have a similar issue, D-link software shows drive has 275 GB free of 1.8 TB, however when I select the entire contents of the drive and select properties the total size reported by windows is only 870GB this should leave roughly a TB free???
The recycle option is dissabled in all shares. Also wierd is that I back Vol 1 up to Vol 2 (same type and size of drive) and both drives report the same free space?
When I roughly add up the contents of the drive the Windows figure seems to be true, where is the rest of my 'Free' space?
Help appreciated

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »

I'm not sure if multiple recycle bins might have glitched my unit or what, but I might have to try offloading all data off and doing a reformat/start from scratch approach one of these days.  I haven't found a utility that scans NAS drives for free space that is lost.

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:01:08 AM »

Okay, I've managed to move all my files off Volume_2.  My unit is running the original firmware V2.00 dated 12/17/10.  I moved the files using the Dlink's Web File Server.  I ran the SCAN drive feature which resulted in SUCCESS with no other info reported.  Extended SMART tests revealed no problems.  This is a little strange isn't it?  Both Windows Explorer and the Web File Server show nothing is present on the drive, but there is only 126 GB available on this 2 TB drive.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:05:57 AM by JohnSmith »

mrgjburt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:56:51 AM »

Hi
I'm not impressed with this thing at all. Might be  a lack of understanding on my part but.....
I had to remove one of my drives and format using windows, reinstalled and let the NAS format it. Copy everything to it from second drive using Windows explorer, hoping that whatever was using 'missing' space did not copy accross too! once copied the freshly formatted drive showed 845GB used (correct I think) Removed and formatted second drive in Windows and then copied all data back to it. Took me ages to do and was a risk! The Firmware is very poor. Hope you find an easier method than the one I followed! I'm still not sure that the issue wont re-occur

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »

Yeah I'm not too sure how things got glitched, but I wonder if it had something to do with the recycle feature?  I had to reformat it in the NAS as well to get the space back.  I'm going to avoid activating the recycle bin to see if that changes anything.

The drive is still acting a little weird in the NAS, but when I checked it connected to my computer's SATA port it does make the strange pulsing sounds when it fires up as well.  It's like this dee dee dee duh duh duh duh duh dee dee dee dee like the head is moving all over the place.  I'm formating it again, and that seemed to have stopped the sound while it's formatting but it returns at idle.

I'm going to have to run a few tests on this Hitachi drive just in case it's a faulty one.  Unfortunately Hitachi DFT won't run on my Intel SATA chipset.  Here's the sound that occurs at idle.  My camera is sitting on top of the drive looking down at the motherboard.  The rear fan is not running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylqxJ_YGy14
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:43:02 AM by JohnSmith »

miid01

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »

I have the same problem!!!!

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »

After removing my good drive and reformating the one that had the lost space, everything looks okay again, but I do notice in Windows Explorer that nothing ever appears in the AJAXPF recycle bin when items are deleted using Windows Explorer.  I do notice that Windows did pop up a screen saying please wait while the recycle bin was being prepared or something to that effect the first time I deleted anything.  I don't know where the files are going as they don't appear in my main recycle bin either.

I'm not sure whether the problem developed because I deleted the AJAXPF folder previously as nothing ever seemed to appear in there.  That could have glitched things?  I don't know.  I'm not deleting it this time to see if anything is different.

I haven't checked whether the space is being properly freed up currently, but it looks like my Hitachi drive is approaching an imminent failure so I'm going to have to RMA it.  Hitachi tech support watched my Youtube video, and that's what they said so I don't think it's my DNS-320 as the drive does the same thing when attached to my computer directly.  I'll transfer all the data off with Web File Server and see if the space is freed up.  Will update this post at that time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:45:34 AM by JohnSmith »

pysen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

I found the solution. I had the same problem, and after mounting the recycle bin as well I found all the files I've already deleted. It wasn't activated but the crap went there anyway.
First delete file, then change to bin and delete there too.

aferreiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »

I've just found the same problem in my NAS. Configured with 4TB of space, I was running out as I had 80GB left only, so I moved to an external drive almos 600GB, but surprise! My nas reports just 100GB free after it.

WTF???

This is a serious problem and D-Link support, even they are really trying to help, the don't have a clue and ask you to format your disk...

I've solved the problem by searching the file system from command line. I first intalled funplug so I can remotely login using telnet. Once at that point, you run as admin, and in my case I've found in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/recycle/nobody 1.4TB!!!!!!!!!

So 1.4TB of data that I tought that I deleted, was really under a recycle bin of a non-existan user and can be safely deleted.

What really bothers me is that I bought an external 2TB drive to free up space in my nas, and now it turns out that my nas is really about 50% of it's capacity!

So, right now, I'm seriously thinking about selling a brand-new USB 3.0 external drive and a D-Link DNS320, to buy something that really works like a QNAP.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »

Just an observation.  When ever I need to delete anything in windows I just highlight it and then hold down shift and hit delete, windows asks if I want to delete, I hit enter and it is gone - no recycle bin involved at all.

This works in our VM windows and when we clients machines restoring their data from the NAS.

Carloroma63

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »

I found the solution. I had the same problem, and after mounting the recycle bin as well I found all the files I've already deleted. It wasn't activated but the **** went there anyway.
First delete file, then change to bin and delete there too.

It worked also for me!
DNS recycle disk space ONLY if files were deleted directly from web interface. For all other deleted files, you must to use the RecycleBin.

I'm really unhappy about Dlink do not tell this in a user manual.... :(

Carlo