• April 18, 2024, 08:13:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Disc space issue on 320L  (Read 2496 times)

sampitauto

• Level 1 Member
Disc space issue on 320L
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:57:43 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am pretty novice when it comes to NAS and 320L is my first ever NAS. I have a query regarding the disc space and would like understand if its an issue.
1) I have 320L NAS enclosure with H/W ver A4 and F/W ver 1.07 (recently updated)
2) I am using 2 x 2TB Segate (ST2000DM001) HDD in RAID 1 config
3) I understand 2TB decimal should be equal to 1863GB binary
4) Currently there is no data on the disc but still NAS is 1831GB as a space as aginst 1863GB.
5) SO the question is where is 32GB space gone? and what takes this space? Is it a problem with HDD or its normal?

Another aspect is NAS is reporting as 1831GB when accessed through Sharecenter in Internet Explorer. BUT when I map the Volume_1 in windows explorer, it reports "1.78TB free of 1.78TB". Hence I am confused as to where is the space gone, even though I do not have any data on the disc.

Appreciate if you guys  can help me in this regards. Thanks.

I tried accessing the NAS disc through AjaXplorer and QuiXplorer, but nothing can be seen which is worth 32GB

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Disc space issue on 320L
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:53:13 AM »

This question has been appearing more of late which makes me think that you are using win10 on your computer.

First thing, check what the NAS says the capacity is.  Remember that this is a software RAID (as are all the RAID configurations including single disks) which does need some hidden configuration.  Then each additional service you activate requires disk space for configuration and temp files.  Finally there is the way that windows 'sees' the linux file system and reports the size which depends on the SMB/CIFS implementation.

For example:  The NAS box in my office has a couple of 1TB disks setup as RAID 1.  The NAS reports 981351MB total disk space and my computer (an OS/2 operating system) reports 981350MB total disk space. 

Edit to add that we got a clients win7 notebook for service so I used the freeware DiskSavy program on it to find what it sees on the NAS - 913950MB total space. 

Go figure.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:38:45 AM by ivan »