• March 28, 2024, 11:14:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setup CD missing  (Read 5627 times)

Hoppy

• Level 1 Member
Setup CD missing
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »

Got a DIR-855 as a gift from a client but there is no setup CD.

I've looked throughout the support pages here, as well as the FTP area & Googled for a download of the disk...   ...no luck.

Please can anyone advise where I can download the disk from?

Thank you kindly for your time & consideration.

A pleasant day to all,
Hoppy

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Setup CD missing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »

You do not normally need the Setup CD.  Setup CDs usually contains a PDF version of the user guide (which can be downloaded) and a third party software "wizard" which then takes over the control of your router's settings.  Download the user guide and follow the steps to manually set up the router.

Hoppy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »

@smlunatick

Thank you kindly for your response & advice.
I'm well acquainted with configuring wired setups, but not wireless.

I was hoping the wizard would be helpful with the initial setup at keeping me relatively secure on a wireless connection until I have more time study the various issues concerning security vulnerabilities.

I also inquired with customer support via e-mail regarding the missing disk, as the box was sealed when I received it, & the possibility of purchasing the disk since I did get the router as a gift. I've received no reply as yet (3 days).

I so hoping D-Link's CS doesn't peer to that of Asus. Even good products need support.

Again, Thank you for taking the time to write, it's sincerely appreciated.

A pleasant evening to you.

h3b

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »

I have created an ISO of my DIR-855 EU CD and uploaded it to rapidshare. It can be downloaded max. 10 times so please let the TS be the first one to download it.

Download link : http://rapidshare.com/files/407157744/DIR-855.iso

Hoppy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »

@h3b

Thank you very much! I appreciate the time you took to rip & upload this.
Do you happen to know the difference between the EU version & the NA version?

Still haven't heard from CS about acquiring a disk for purchase even though I registered the unit.

Again, I'm grateful for your consideration to help me out. It is most kind of you.

Wishing all a pleasant day.

h3b

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »

@h3b
Do you happen to know the difference between the EU version & the NA version?

Physically they are the same, but I think the only difference is the firmware. The NA firmware has less wireless channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. At least this is what I have been reading in several fora. Maybe someone else can give more information about the differences.

Hoppy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:12:20 AM »

@h3b
Thank you for your timely response, especially since the topic is probably of little interest to most on this forum. I have little recourse but to appeal to other users.

I've read the same about the firmware differences. But I'm wondering if the setup versions are mutually exclusive also. I suspect they may be. Only by simple deduction, that is I have no basis in fact, if the setup automatically detected which version of firmware is present, there would be no need to produce 2 versions of the setup disk.

On the other hand, logic plays no part in many Corp decisions. Wouldn't want to bet the farm on that being the case here. The 855 appears to be a nice piece of equipment & I hesitate to render it useless by configuring it with inappropriate software.
This would be a non issue except that I'm located in the US.

I've earmarked some time tomorrow to burn & explore the setup you so generously made available today.
Please know I'm thankful & grateful for your kindness.
I will update when I learn more.

A pleasant day to all!