• March 18, 2024, 11:41:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DNS 323 Error: "The hard drives have been installed incorrectly."  (Read 34653 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS 323 Error: "The hard drives have been installed incorrectly."
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 11:24:17 AM »

I have only been switching my drive because I got the error and can't get access to the configuration menu with the drives in
Initially this same error just appeared

This error probably has more to do with the jbod file format structure

It doesn't - you can get that error even with out a JBOD disk configuration - I've already told you what causes that error.

I find it curious that I got full access back after a reflash  which I would think has more to do with something corrupt on my drives

It doesn't - a flash (or reflash) has absolutely no impact on the drives or their contents - a flash writes (or rewrites) to the flash memory on the controller or system board in the unit.

But I never get consistent behaviour from the unit
I
When I enter the files structure through my ps3 everything displays properly
But as I back out it show the top of the directory tree differently with a MNT path that I have no idea where that came from

It's too bad there wasn't something that could reinitialize the drive without reformat
 o
[/quote]

I have to assume you're not familiar with the technology - Initialize = format.  Reinitialize = reformat.  When you initialize or format the disks you create the partition and file structures into which you will later place the data - it's actually two different steps, partitioning and then formatting, but on this unit, you cannot separate them.  If that structure is damaged or corrupted, depending on the extent of the damage, it may be possible to repair it, but at some point you need to make the decision, does it make sense to continue to attempt a repair or would it be simpler to just recreate the structure.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »

I have had this system up and running for 30-45 days, if I have to reformat every 30-45 days then there is a problem with the product.

I only swapped the drive when I 1st lost access to the configuration menu.  Although I did have a 320gb single drive in and then upgraded to 2x1.5tb drives with a full format done I think more than once.

pc sata drives you can hot swap.  so the fact that this unit has such a hard time manageing drives that don't get swapped is troublesome, 

I would reformat but I have 800 gb of data with no easy backup solution

why not shell out another $150 and buy a 1tb drive for backup on a system 60 days old?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:14:03 PM by coxwain »
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »

Don't confuse hot swap with hot plug - the SATA interface supports hot plug, which is the ability to remove and or replace the disk without destroying it.  Whether or not hot swap is supported depends on the particular implimentation, and hot swap is not supported on this device and should not even be a part of this discussion.

I've got a couple of IBM xSeries servers here, on the system board there is an integrated two port SATA controller, with Adaptec HostRAID - I can configure for two standard disks and I can remove & replace those disks - if I do the server will crash and data will be lost, but the hardware will not be damaged - that is hot plug.

I can also configure the server for RAID1, in which case I can remove and replace either disk, with no loss of data - that is hot swap.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »

the fact that I have full access to these drives and they read write no problem from winxp file explorer isn't confusing for you?
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »

I'm going by what you say, and I will say this - you do appear to be confused.

But - to get to the point - what does being confused about read/write have to do with confusing hot swap & hot plug?

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »

I was wondering if you could explain why I can access the drives without any problem throught my computer windows xp file explorer but run into issues with my PS3 accessing the file directories?

As per the Hot Swap question,  as mentioned before, I only removed the drives when I initially got the error that the hard drives had been installed incorrectly, up untill this point I was simply using the BT and web configuration interface.  As well when the drive is removed it is powered down.

I continue to get the error as noted above, however I am able to access my database from my ps3.  Once and a while I will unplug my DNS 323 if I need a refresh done of the file structure.  It seems if I use my Easysearch to hook  up the BT then I get all kinds of access errors so I will live without the BT on my DNS323 and use a software solution for now.

As mentioned before my Data is not corrupt when viewing through xp,  I get the errors through my ps3 connection of various problems, not seeing files, not playing enire file, refreshing of the directories either manual or automatic after files have been added.  I find if I change file names that they dont refresh that well.

I have now way of determining if there is a problem with the hard drives that are intermitant, that too would be nice to see on easysearch, defrag and diagnosis.

Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

dns323wtf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »

Just got my DNS-323 and 2 1TB Western Digital drives from Futureshop.ca. Followed the instructions to the letter during the installation process. I choose Raid 0 for my hard drive configuration. After the drives were formatted the 323 re-booted and I also got the following error message:

"The hard drives have been installed incorrectly. Please power off and swap hard drive locations."

Very disappointing and just not acceptable quality control for me. I took the 323 out of the box, follow the basic instructions and it failed immediately.

I'm sending back to Futureshop. Based on what I've read here it doesn't seem that dlink offers any solution for this problem. And I don't consider not choosing Raid 0 as a solution. I bought dns-323 because I thought it supported Raid 0.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the DNS-323?

Thanks

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »

Did you update firmware to 1.06?  Since you don't have much data on it youvshould reformat

I agree this is a hardware problem with the dns323 why the dlink support people don't reply to my support tickets or this forum are dissapointing

This unit has the right price but not if it doesn't work
Lynksys has a unit but not a gb switch
Maybe wait for the gb switch model

Or another suggestion is build a computer that can stream the media and be has
Check out maximum pc this month as they show you how to build a media server

There are some motherboards that support raid and you might get more finction out of that type of system
Check tigerdirect and the xfx mb for raid support
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

dns323wtf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »

I forgot about tigerdirect - excellent suggestion.

thanks

sbktm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 01:20:51 AM »

Why oh why did I not reed these forums before I bought??

Well I too am having the same problem.  Two brand new WD Green HDD's (1 TB) and a brand new DNS 323 nas.  I have upgraded the firmware to 1.06 and still no luck.  Can access via explorer in Vista but am worried about starting to move data across and losing access or having to reformat. 

Can anyone advise how to force a reformat?

Also, anyone have any new suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 03:43:35 AM »

Unfortunatly dlink has dissapeared on many of my support questions
I wonder if it is safer to run single drives rather than raid
Or use twonky media server instead

I too have full access to the data from windows but the upnp server is very buggy
Conceptially the 323 is awsome in practice not
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:06:18 AM by coxwain »
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 04:55:17 AM »

Why oh why did I not reed these forums before I bought??

Well I too am having the same problem.  Two brand new WD Green HDD's (1 TB) and a brand new DNS 323 nas.  I have upgraded the firmware to 1.06 and still no luck.  Can access via explorer in Vista but am worried about starting to move data across and losing access or having to reformat. 

Can anyone advise how to force a reformat?

Also, anyone have any new suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam.

Try resetting it using the reset button on the back, or remove the drives install them in another system and delete the partitions.

sbktm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 04:56:58 AM »

Thanks!  Did that, formatted one drive.  Sucsess.  Added 2nd drive, configured as JBOD rather than Raid 0 - Sucsess!  All good now.  Very tempermental but it seems to be going quite smooth now.

Wonder what the problem was!

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 07:13:13 AM »

Thanks!  Did that, formatted one drive.  Sucsess.  Added 2nd drive, configured as JBOD rather than Raid 0 - Sucsess!  All good now.  Very tempermental but it seems to be going quite smooth now.

Wonder what the problem was!

That is great that it worked which it should, zeroing everything to factory settings should fix any and every problem.   but what happens if you load this puppy full of data and then get the same problem?

I am running JBOD too but have lost access to my web configuration screen and my PS3 has intermitant problems with the DNS 323,   I have full access to the drive from File Explorer in XP and can view all data through whatever program I want.

I suggest you test it out quite a bit a well before you get too comfortable with you data on your drive.

My DNS323 changes the directory structure haphazardly  when I exit out of a movie that I am watching

My directory structure is  VOLUME_1  MEDIA VIDEO  but when I back out I get the directory name MNT and some other sub directory name rather than MEDIA and VIDEO.  I cant remember as I am at work right now.

Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »

Be very careful with JBOD - if you lose either drive, at the next reboot you will lose access to whatever data is on the remaining drive.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4