• March 28, 2024, 10:09:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Continue to have problems even after Beta firmware  (Read 7480 times)

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
Continue to have problems even after Beta firmware
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:06:17 AM »

This little D-Link unit is driving me crazy.

When I first bought it, I could never get Active Directory support to work. After a tech sent me the newest BETA firmware, that fixed the issue. I unplugged the unit to move it into our server rack and now it's having a new problem.

When I attempt to access it via windows networking, I receive one of three errors.

1. It will prompt me for a username and password. I'm on a domain, so I use the domain\administrator username and pass. It will prompt me several times for it. Sometimes, it accepts it. Other times, it does not.

2. If it does accept it, I can access the Volume. When I attempt to click into the volume to navigate the contents, I receive the message: "The Resource is unavailable."

3. Lastly, I occasionally get the error "The Volume is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

If I reboot the unit, sometimes I can get in and search the volume and other times I can't. Sometimes, it will let me in for a few minutes, then as I start writing to it, it will go unreachable again. The window that was once accepting files will either give me Cyclonic Redundancy Errors or will simply gray out and return with "The Resource is unavailable".

Any ideas? I'm about ready to pitch this thing.

Denis

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
Re: Continue to have problems even after Beta firmware
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »

The best part of this is my call to support. I give them the name of the person I talked to that sent me the 1.04 firmware. They say it never happened, even though I have his email (with attachment) right here. They say 1.04 firmware doesn't exist, yet I have it!

I've been passed to over 10 different techs. None of them are logging my calls, as they're all adament that my case number doesn't exist and there are no notes on the call.

So, DLINK, if you're listening, know that case ARR400838057 is still unanswered!

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »

Noted. I will say that not all technicians follow the forums closely so they may not know of the existence of the firmware. This is both good and bad. Good because they shouldn't be pushing beta on users but bad because a user may be willing to try it out to 'fix' that issue. I do find it rather amusing about the non-existent email. You could simply point them to this thread and responses :).

As to your issues,

Other users are reporting issues with ADS 'remaining' running for a consecutive amount of time on the beta which could be part of your issues for #2 and #3. I have never heard of issue #1 when it is running fine. Perhaps you can post what your config settings look like for ADS.

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »

I have never heard of issue #1 when it is running fine. Perhaps you can post what your config settings look like for ADS.

At this point, I can't even do that. The phone support folks just had me try to flash to 1.03 and now the unit is completely unresponsive.

I'm attempting to let it do a hard reset now, but I don't have high hopes for this.

What I find especially frustrating is I've been passed back and forth between Customer Service (800-326-1688, 2, 2) and tech support now over a dozen times. Tech support tells me I have to talk to Customer Service to get a refund, as I'm ready to move to another manufacturer. Customer Service takes the call, says they'll do that and then transfers me to Tech Support. This cycle is now on it's fourth repetition. I'm currently on hold for Customer Service again.

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »

The circus continues. Now they want to do an RMA on the unit. Why would I RMA a unit only to get an exact same unit that does the exact same thing?

If ADS support isn't there, it isn't there. If the 1.04 firmware is problematic, and the 1.03 is even worse, why would I want a replacement?

I'm still on hold (3 hours, 9 minutes and counting since I first picked up the phone today about this), but I can very much see that I'll be back here in 2-3 weeks (whenever the RMA gets here) having this same issue.

I'm about to call this a $400 mistake and move on. I can't believe I supported, recommended and purchased D-Link products for so many years. This is just unacceptable.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »

Sorry about your ordeal. The proper steps for a 'refund/rma' are to go through Tech Support, it needs to be troubleshoot first, then go through either customer support or RMA department depending on the issue. While you are waiting if you want to continue to work on your device, try removing all drives (note the order if they are in a raid), Unplug the power supply, hold a paperclip in the reset pinhole while your power on the device and keep it there for 15 or so seconds, give the unit a few minutes to see if the OLED comes up from "System booting...". If not try power cycling the unit once more. Every unit runs the risk of a faulty firmware update when swapping revisions so it could have caused an issue when sending the firmware over the network.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »

As of right now with 1.03 and ADS, the only functionality having issues is Netbios. 1.04 beta fixes this but has had complaints on reliability (add-on needs to be restarted once a day). This will be fixed prior to final release of 1.04 if you are willing to wait.

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »

This will be fixed prior to final release of 1.04 if you are willing to wait.

When will this release take place? I guess if I have to, I can shelf the unit, but another Thecus unit in the meantime and wait. It's disappointing, but if I have a firm date for this availability, at least I'll take comfort that this may, some day, in the future, possibly work.

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »

Dumb question - What if I was able to flash it back to 1.03, turn off ADS. Can I access this unit anonymously through file sharing? no username and password needed? Full read and write capability? Will this fix the reliability issues if I forego security?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »

Dumb question - What if I was able to flash it back to 1.03, turn off ADS. Can I access this unit anonymously through file sharing? no username and password needed? Full read and write capability? Will this fix the reliability issues if I forego security?

If you flash it back to 1.03 and remove ADS and just the network without the domain you can leave it on Anonymous and yes you can access it with full R/W anonymously.

1.04 will not be published until ADS if stable and fixed. It was the original intention of 1.04 but added the fix for fanspeed since it seems to be causing a ruckus. I can't guarantee a release date yet since we still need to pinpoint the ADS stability issue. Hopefully next beta release will stabilize it.

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:44:52 PM »

"Sometimes, it will let me in for a few minutes, then as I start writing to it, it will go unreachable again."

I had this issue as well. I ran all the integrity scans available in the menu and they all came back clean. Tracked it down to a single file.. rewriting it caused a hard crash of the unit.  So I renamed the file to "NEVERDELETEME!" and it has been running mostly ok since except for having to run a script to restart the ads addon daily.  Sometimes I get sporadic login failures with certain accounts and certain shares but I haven't seen that on the windows clients, only on a media player box.