• March 28, 2024, 06:51:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: System random lockup  (Read 18690 times)

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
Re: System random lockup
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 05:36:20 AM »

Mine was faultless for 3 weeks, and started locking up yesterday.

I have to pull the power to get it active again.  Cannot access firmware, but can ping ip of NAS.

I have static IP set on it - have also tried dynamic with router assigning via DHCP to mac of NAS, but same.

I have 3 x 1TB WD drives in RAID 5.

I thought it coincided with enabling FTP server, but have disabled it and same issue.

Also had it coincide with refresh AV server sticking @ 67% on 2 occasions.

If I reset to defaults, then restore config as mentioned earlier, will I lose any data or RAID configuration??
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:38:43 PM by roflcopter666 »

mike343

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 06:24:55 AM »

Disk sync completed successfully. I soft-booted from the web console and the "hot" warning is gone from the display.  I just copied a 1.2GB file from my PC to the NAS; it completed successfully but took slightly more than 3 minutes.

I'm not too concerned about speed; I want data security and device reliability.  I want to be 100% (or darn close to it) positive that when I try to hit the shared drive that is my NAS that it will pop up all the time.  Right now that's not happening.

I take very few chances though.  The data on my RAID5 array is also backed up to an external 1TB USB HD.  Good idea, yes, but shouldn't be a "forced necessity" IMO.

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »

Interesting about the system overheat hot warning - mine also displayed this after hard reboot, however when rebooted again only displayed temp as 44deg.

Is there any log file that can be extracted to try and work out what is happening?

mike343

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »

AFAIK, there is no viewable/exportable log file for the 343.  IIRC, that's been on the "firmware wishlist" for awhile. 

The 343 has the potential for greatness; it just needs some more attention by DLink.  If PC motherboard manufs can release a new BIOS every couple of weeks (if need be) I don't see why it takes so long to work out bugs on a much simpler device like the 343.

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »

Should we be calling DLINK support to raise support cases? 
I am unclear if this is an issue across the board, or whether it may be a batch and RMA/Warranty would fix.

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »

Did a system reset and re-configure - so far so good..

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 12:20:02 AM »

Stick with 1.01 unless there's some feature you just can't live without.  And yes, you can downgrade this unit despite what support may tell you.

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »

Locked up again as soon as tried to share root on uPNP AV server.
Every time I refresh AV server, I get 93% then "there was a problem with the request" popup error.
I have disabled i Tunes server.
Anyone know a fix?
Does this need to be raised with DLINK support?
Mate has QNAP 409 and has no problems with his NAS and I am starting to think I should have followed his lead, being they have regular firmware updates and an active forum.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:13:38 AM by roflcopter666 »

rbascom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »

I have been reading your comments here and despite the problems I've seen, I went out and bought a DSN-343 along with four Seagate 1.5TB 32MB SATA Bulk/OEM Hard Drive ST31500341AS (firmware ver: CC1H). I figured that by the time that I got them, maybe the problems would be resolved. NOT so!!!!

I am experiencing the same frustration with the DSN-343 that I see others here are having; "hangs at 94%" being at the top of the list.

The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware to 102a. Now I know its beta, BUT that's the only way to get 1.5 TB supported, right? I tried different browsers (IE6 and Firefox, clearing cached cookies, waiting up to 48 hours on the 94% before giving up and in week's time, I still have not been able to get the four 1.5TB drives to format in RAID 5, RAID 1, RAID 0, or even just individual drives without the "hangs at 94%" issue.

I am almost at the point where I am ready to put this in the box, return it to amazon.com, and ask for a refund. And that's a shame, because I believe as you all seem to, this could be a such a GREAT little box "IF" the problems can be worked out.

Before I completely throw in the towel here, I intend to down grade to v102 (maybe 101) and use 400Mb drives. I'd just like to see if they will complete any RAID format or even individual drives.

DLINK techies definitely need to be brought in on this. It's not just a random happening. I am reading way too many other threads where others are in similar positions and are not happy.

Aquilae

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »

Same issue.

Randomly freezes (usually when transferring files to it), can not even ping.

When I power down, it just stays on the halting screen. Have to manually power it down by removing the power cable.

Has happened 3 times now.

When I power back up, it resyncs for 500 minutes.

Each time I reset to defaults and it occurs again.

This is ridiculous.

Config:
Firmware: 1.02b10  (newest, as per the www.dlink.com.au website)
RAID 5
HDDs: 4x WD 500GB HDDs, these are on the list of compatible HDDs
I've tried EXT3 and EXT2

kjb

• Level 1 Member
Re: System random lockup Resolved!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »

I found a firmware upgrade for my Seagate ST31500341AS drives.
The problem of the system lockup (with the 1.02a firmware) and these drives is that they will drop out of the array periodically.  I found this on the seagate site:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

Google is my friend.
hth
My System:
D-link DNS-343, 4 Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda drives w/fw 1.3b70

sliderwkw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »

actually I have read many reviews and forums post and found that DNS 343 has many issues with seagates harddrives and the only solution is to manually update all the seagate harddrives with the latest firmwares especially with 1.5TB drives. I have seen reports that seagate harddrives suddenly unplugs until shutting down and powering up DNS 343 again and after the guy updated all the Seagate harddisks, everythign works fine....

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »

Yeah Seagate was actually having issue with the drives and had to create new firmware. Seagate did not create new firmware firmware just for use with the DNS-343 they has issues to work out.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

gsrider

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:21 PM »

I have the same issue as everyone else in this thread, I had been using the 1.03 beta, but went back to 1.02... I do have two seagate drives, will it break the raid to update the firmware? And is there any way to update firmware inside the DNS or do they have to come out?

TIA

Bhavik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »

I upgraded my 4x Seagate 1.5TB drives firmware after I had created RAID 5 on the DNS-343. You will only see the locking up issue with the Seagate drives in RAID configuration.

I did not loose any data in this process. This is what I did.

1. Power down the DNS-343
2. Pull 1 drive out and then put it into PC
3. Upgrade the firmware
4. Put the drive back into the slot I took it out of.
5. Repeat for all the drives.

Note: Just because I did not loose any data in this process, doesn't mean you will. I recommend you backup all your data first.
Pages: 1 [2]