• March 28, 2024, 05:00:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Performance considerations WISP/Bridge/Repeater/Wireless Client mode  (Read 9793 times)

bargi

• Level 1 Member

Hi,

I currently have an existing point to point setup with a Netgear WG602(base) and WG302(client) in Bridge mode which I'd like to replace/upgrade and I'd like to understand how the various modes affect wireless performance.
For example the Netgear manual mentions running the units in repeater mode halves the wifi throughput. In reading the various options on the DLINK unit and searching the forum I can't seem to find any info.

Would one of the DLink mods mind listing the Pros/Cons of the various modes?

The current setup has external directional antennas at each end to which I see a about 3Mbps.
I setup a DAP-1525 Bridged in Wireless Client Mode at the client end(replacing the WG302) and saw jump in throughput to spikes of 10mbps and solid 7mbps.
This got me thinking to replace the setup with 2 x DAP-1360.
Upon checking and the DAP-1360 has removable antennae with Reverse SMA which will fit onto the existing external antennas.
The Netgear APs have the ability to set it from diversity to a single antennae.
I've gone through the online emulator and can't find anything like this.

Does anyone from Dlink know using external antennas would be an issue and how the unit would handle this?
If it's not recommended what Dlink units would be suitable for this sort of point to point setup?

Thanks

Ray

DennisOlof1

• Level 2 Member
Re: Performance considerations WISP/Bridge/Repeater/Wireless Client mode
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »

Regardless of what mode you choose, repeater is the worst as it will impact performance, most other modes are custom to dlink or not standard. If you want more speed from a point-to-point link you need better antennas, perhaps moving over to 5Ghz is even better.

As it is only a link and transparent to the users of the network, there is no need to stay on 2.4Ghz anyway external antennas will not impact the units, regardless of hardware, brand etc. They will just make if go faster, provide a more stable connection and so on. Lots of hardware to choose from, antenna wise.

One important aspect if you are on standard WLAN equipment, dlink, netgear and so on, if you can put the antennas directly onto the units, or use a antenna cable that is as short as possible, this will help to avoid signal drop due to signal loss in the antenna cable. Otherwise you will loose a lot of signal strength.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:40:32 AM by DennisOlof1 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:48:42 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.