• April 25, 2024, 09:45:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Online backup for DNS-323 - now released  (Read 20469 times)

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
Re: Online backup for DNS-323 - now released
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:03:44 PM »

Connecting an external hard drive to the dns and have the back up that way is not an option for me. i want to secure my documents and photos from fire and theft, that's why i go for the cloud.

If I was that hardcore about any portion of my data, I would be backing up to an external attached storage (tape/CD/HD/papyrus) then moving it MYSELF to safety deposit box/fire safe or something offsite (buried in my backyard?) MYSELF, Which would actually be quicker/safer/cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:07:09 PM by Tank_Killer »

famkramer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 04:04:34 AM »

The online backup option is only available in North America.

And users who are not living in NA ? ???

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 06:04:43 AM »

I have one NAS and some NDAS drives in a cinder-block enclosure in the basement in the corner.  Those are my "off-site" backup, they receive a complete data image of all my stuff twice a week with an automated backup.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:09 AM »

And users who are not living in NA ? ???

There's nothing preventing "non-US" residents from using it - other than the relative sloth of their internet connections.  I participated in the beta (from South America) and apart from the unrealistic time required to transfer the data it worked well.

Now - should I gripe about Ctera not having servers closer to me, should I gripe about my ISP not having faster links to the US backbone or should I just recognize the limitations that my geographical location impose on business of this nature and move on?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

brianw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 07:47:11 AM »

Considering you can get 2Tb drives these days, I think the off-site back up is more for mission critical or business applications and not the home user.

IMO, the whole Ctera option is just a bad gimmick and the firmware update should have been to FIX problems with the 323 not add a pay service.  Anyone want to speculate how much of a kick-back Dlink is getting??

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »

Considering you can get 2Tb drives these days, I think the off-site back up is more for mission critical or business applications and not the home user.

What does the one have to do with the other?  Does a home user have less value for his/her data?

I take it you realise that the discussion is about "online backup" rather than "off-site backup" - there's nothing to stop you from buying a 2TB drive, copying your data to it, taking it to your neighbour across the street and considering it "off-site backup".  In fact, all I'm asking (and a few others also) is that D-Link considering making such an "off-site backup" easier to do by providing firmware support to do it through the USB port.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

grand11

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »

My problem is I'm looking at someone like Carbonite, who will give me unlimited storage capacity at about $50 per device.  It doesn't matter that my NAS can be accessed from multiple computers .... thats true of ANY computer.  Setup a scheduled backup form my various PCs/Laptops to a neutral share, or just folder redirect like a small business would do, subscribe to Carbonite on said single said box and i have _unlimited_ encrypted storage of all my data, my entire home network.  The NAS then becomes a rapid recovery point and the onsite is my fire/disaster point.

Really thats what this little device needs to compete with.  Its a cheep mini-server that offers backups and printer server options ... 50gb will barely even cover th base Windows 7 backup should i stream it to the NAS.

Only reason i have a NAS device is I'm avoiding adding another PC to play server... but at these prices I might as well build said server... cause the upkeep will be lower.

Sorry to be less than thrilled with ctera ... but the prices just don't come close to being reasonable.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:36:25 PM by grand11 »

grand11

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »

Sorry in advanced if I seem to be picking things apart too much, but I just want to clarify things from my position.

First off, the kind of user who is going to setup and run a NAS is going to be somewhat savvy.  SO I don't think any of what I'm about to post to be out of reach for your target market.  Once I've said my peace hopefully you'll see why I feel the pricing doesn't add up.

Simply stated, this service is not going to be for everyone. Users who already have a system in place with another service and are already copying files around to another pc for one of those 'unlimited' backup services may not be enticed by this service. Those services do offer the unlimited title but also have some fairly large restrictions to their service on what can actually be uploaded.

Obviously if someone has a service in place he may not want to switch, but that's not the root of the argument.   Instead, the question is "why wouldn't they go with option B if it can be done at half price (or even less) than the built in model?  What does this update add that makes it worth the premium?"

Other services also require a PC to be on in order to backup data to the cloud where the DNS-323, a low power consumption device, requires no intervention and no PC in order to store files to the cloud.

Require a PC vs requires a NAS is grasping at straws to begin with, and intervention is a non issue.  EVERY service out there is basically hands off and streaming in the background these days. 

The $99 price is correct however there is a misunderstanding I believe on the renewal which is what I was referring to. This is a difficult feature add to make everyone happy because everyone is so enticed by the advertising of these unlimited services and don't understand the actual drawbacks. Show me an unlimited service out there that lets you upload from unlimited amount of pc's without buying additional accounts per pc. Show me an unlimited service that allows you to upload a file that is larger than 2GB in size...

The unlimited PC argument is faulty, as the service itself only works from Ctera to NAS.  It doesn't matter that the NAS potentially hosts files for multiple PCs ... _any_ PC i decided not to throw away can satisfy that role, and i could potentially buy said backup service just for that single box.  If the service doesn't care about multiple NAS devices ... I would argue your market has changed to that of small business, in which case I strongly question the value of a DNS-323 at all and would be screaming instead for you to spend your time with an AD integration module.

50GB may not be a lot of space these days especially in comparison to the terabytes of space you can purchase to put inside of your household in a NAS for cheap however not everyone has the want or need to purchase and manage multiple NAS units for safe-keeping their data. If you are simply using a cloud to backup images of your home PC's then this of course is not the correct solution for you.

So lets play devils advocate here.

What then is the goal of this service?  We've said what it isn't.  What is it?

By definition a NAS device will interact with and store info from multiple PCs and sources.  If the backup service was not envisioned to store enough data to handle multiple PCs worth (based on your hold multiple images fomr multiple PCs).... whats it's point at all?

It's as if the Ctera backup was envisioned as a backup for the DNS-323 itself ... and if thats the case it's pricing should be similar to single PC backup solutions .... aka $50 for unlimited storage.  What you have here is a system priced to backup multiple computers with the capacity to only handle one (if that). "you can connect multiple DNS boxes!!!"  So what at 50gb?

Legolia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »

Well it has been a week now and NO reply from Ctera regarding this issue.  Glad to see they really care.

I really hope NOBODY signs up for this service as it is, a complete ripoff to the consumer.

Pages: 1 [2]