• March 29, 2024, 04:08:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Sync time remaining: degraded  (Read 4910 times)

pinback

• Level 1 Member
Sync time remaining: degraded
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:47:32 AM »

DNS-323 with two WDC WD5000KS 500GB drives in RAID 1. Firmware 1.07. Have had the "degraded" status for a year under various firmwares. Both drive lights are blue. What do I do to correct this situation?

When I log on to the DNS-323 it immediately goes to the Hard Drive Configuration page and says "Click 'Next' to begin formatting the replacement drive. Re-Sync will take place after the restart." I always skip this message. Should I click 'Next' instead? Will my data be preserved?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Sync time remaining: degraded
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:04 AM »

If you've never taken any steps to fix the "issue" and clicked cancel every time the DNS-323 prompts you to fix it, then the problem WILL remain.

I would start by backing up the data - there is nothing to indicate which drive the DNS-323 thinks is defective, and you could have it format the wrong drive and sync from the other 'older' one, causing a loss of all data stored after the "degradation" occurred.

In an ideal scenario the unit - which seems to think one of the drives is new - will format the "new" drive and then sync from the other drive, but, better to backup whilst you can and be safe, rather than sorry.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

pinback

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »

Problem solved. Backed up NAS (6 hours). Resynced RAID 1 (3 hours). Nothing lost.

Why isn't there a mention of this "degraded" message in the manual, FAQ, or KB?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »

Uhhh - I know it's not in the manual, but I thought it was in the FAQ.

Perhaps it was overlooked - the term degraded (also impaired) is generically used to indicate that a RAID array is not optimal or in the desired state, I'm guessing those of us who work with RAID routinely never realised that a less experienced user might not understand it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.