• March 28, 2024, 10:56:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Streaming videos are starting to lag  (Read 18031 times)

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
Streaming videos are starting to lag
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »

I bought my DSM-520 from amazon 5 months ago.  After four months of fairly reliable playback I was happy.  well recently, the movies I have been streaming from my WHS latest from HP, are starting to lag, stop to the point that I can no longer operate the DSM.  I am forced to hard shut it down. the odd thing is that it will seemingly play OK for the first 30 minutes then hang.  It changes depending on the day.  As I sad my WHS is the latest and is only used for streaming,  I have even monitored it while it was streaming and can even access the same movies without issues from other computers. 
I even thought that is was the bitrate or type of the movie so I would convert it to something else.. but sometimes it made it worse, then sometimes I lay the original and it would play fine then it would not some were simply no laybale.  Even when using the USB directly it would freeze and I would have to shut it down.  I am at the point now of watching my movies from my computer with a 25 inch monitor.. I want to use my entertainment system..
So I ask is there anything I can do, is this a support call?  I am worried as I have read only bad reviews of support.  I am afrined I wasted 200 bucks. the thing is I am/was a heavy supporter of dlink products.  My router is a dlink gamer lounge.. I love it. I am ready to buy an xbox for watching my streaming movies..
is there going to be an update to this DSM 520 or our we current owners being left behind?  :'(

alexkoch

• Level 1 Member
Re: Streaming videos are starting to lag
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »

I had the same problem with my DSM-520. This device freezes / hangs / does not respond to remote if your router works in mixed G/N mode. I solved the problem by adding a DAP-1522 access point for all my B/G devices (DAP-1522 works in mixed B/G mode and is connected to DIR-655 working in pure N). Hope this helps.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »

stephenR

Are you connected wirelessly I did not see any mention of this?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »

Yes sorry,l have tried it in wireless, directly connected and direct connect USB and I get the same freezes / hangs / does not respond to remote charateristics. 
I mostly use it in wireless, and for the previous three or 4 months everyting was smooth..
I will admit in the beggining all methods were the same so I left it witht he wireless as it was more convinient.  Is there a setting or alternative best practices I should use when connecting my device.  as I mentioned I am using the DGL-4300 Gamer Lounge. 
Its odd because at times will run smooth all the way through a movie without issue, but then that is now a rareity.  I am pretty frustrated.  I hav enot changed anything in my environment since I bought it and it was great before; its like its getting tired.  Thank you in advance for the help. thank you. 

alexkoch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »

stephenR

I would suggest to disable "Super-G" on your router and switch the 802.11 mode to "mixed B/G" - see if this works.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »

Have you noticed if this happens on any specific media file types or files recently created with a specific software? Try watching some of you old videos that never had an issue and see if you still see the issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »

actually is can be anytype, I have trid them all mp4, avi all types.. and yes I tried original movies that once use to work and now they lag and freeze as well.. so waht do you think?

alexkoch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »

This is the problem with your router settings.. It affects the device even if it is wired or reading from the USB drive (the firmware checks the default wireless network). When in mixed G/Super-G or G/N (like was mine) the router frequently reboots causing the DSM-520 to freeze. Try to reset your router to the factory settings (small button on the back) and then disable Super-G and set the B/G mixed.
I have two DSM-520s in two different locations. One works in the mixed B/G network - works flawlessly including the Active TV streaming and the second one had the same problems as you described (in mixed G/N). I was able to completely solve the problem by installing the access point just for B/G devices (DSM-520 is G).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:29:56 AM by alexkoch »

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »

that sounds good, that is until you mention "N" I dont have N in my network nor is my router capable, its only b an g, even at that I have an access point that I use for the b and devices that can utilize the wireles security settings of the dlink router. My mixed mode if any is just B and G, setting to factory defults is not an option as I have the router configured for my home server and also a 2008 server for other services. 
I have most of my devices using G @ 108 accessing the router. 
the strange thing ab out all this is that for three months, at the exact and current setting it played all my vodeos without issues.  Now those same ones just won't play smooth anymore.  Oddlyh enough, once in a while it it will all play nice. 
again my configuraton is dlink gamer router, HP home server ( latesst hardware and build from HP) and the Dlink media player recieving the stream fromthe home serverr, I do not use the dlink server software.  on that note, I utilize the GB ports from the homeserver to the GB port to the router.. (sigh)  I am at a loss as why the dlink media player is deciding to freeze up and stop working now.  I use it (or used to) a lot.. any help would be appriciated..  thanks again.. I will take these responses and try and formulate a troubleshooting plan.. thanks..

alexkoch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »

The DSM-520 works reliably only in G @ 54Mbit/s. For me it looks like your router frequently reboots causing your media player to freeze (this is the common thing with the D-Link routers working in mixed mode, in your case G/Super-G). I mentioned wireless N since I had the same problem with mixed G/N.

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 11:37:38 AM »

intersting, I dont see the router rebooting, I check up time and it show no signs of a reboot and I test with other devices connected and runing while I am viewing the mivie to see if I can see a disconnect or if they are affected as well. 
I will examine the router more so and see if that might be the issue.  I acant se the HP hoeserver being a culprit.  so do you think I should make the router "G" only?  why would the USB fail as well? 
I also found that they newest USB portable drives that use the poer from the USB can not be detected with the dlink, is this true?  Thank you again..

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »

OK alexkoch , it does looks like it is my dlink dgl-4200 gamer lounge router , the witreless part that is.. I did some extensicve testing, rewired and moved some itlms.. I hardwired the dsm-520 and have been playing some of the problem movies.. and they have had not problem..
Well I ghuess I will open up a thread on the DGL-4300 and ask about my router.. I love it but looks like I need a new one or something.. now that I feflect back it explains some other issues.. thanks..

alexkoch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »

OK, glad it worked. This is the problem with the network settings, not DSM-520.. You can still use your router, but try to avoid mixing G and Super-G, or you can add an access point working in G only or B/G. Thanks

stephenR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »

ok I spoke too soon.  as I let the movies stream way through the day as testing, it started up again.. I had it on the wire this time. I will do some testing like dropping super G and see if that fixes it.. so you suppose that the mixed setting effects the wired connection as well?   it was not as bad and recoverd sooner, but still stared the lag symptoms again.. thanks.. I guess I trying to determine the weak link in all this.. How do you feed your movies, do you the bundled dlink sever software or another solution?  thanks..

alexkoch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »

I have the following configurations (two different locations):

1. Linksys WRT54GS router (B/G mixed, WEP 128bit) + DSM-520 (1.06 fw) wireless + PC IBM ThinkCentre Win XP SP3 (DLink media server 1.10 + DLink Active TV installed)

2. DLink DIR655 router (pure N, WPA2 AES) + DAP1522 access point (B/G mixed, WEP 128 bit) + DSM-520 (1.06 fw) wireless + NAS Hammer MyShare N1200 (TwonkyVision 4.11 media server) + PC Lenovo Win Vista (DLink Active TV installed)

The DSMs work flawlessly in both of them (as you can see, I use DLink media server in #1 and NAS-based Twonky server in #2). 
Pages: [1] 2