• April 24, 2024, 10:41:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Airplus Xtreme G Connecting LOW  (Read 5985 times)

duke46

• Level 1 Member
Airplus Xtreme G Connecting LOW
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:48:52 AM »

I know there might be an answer somewhere on here if I could find it?

I am on an older computer running XP still and it will not upgrade. My wireless card is a DWL-G650 that is not supported any longer but has always worked great. When I try to use it then it will connect but shows a very low connection and that is only 14' away?

I installed it into a little newer computer also running XP 2' away and it connects very well and stays on the high end.

I installed it on mine and then let windows install it back and was still connecting low. I have also tried to update the driver and not sure if it updating are not because when I go to properties it shows the old one but the old one works great on the other computer? And that driver date is 10/17/03. On mine it shows 7/14/2004. I have an 2005 update but it has not worked as a driver update yet?

I always use this card in my lower slot and just wondering if I need to try to install it in my upper slot because the lower one or my computer is having a problem? At least I know the card works good and like it should but just not on this computer any longer.

Do you have any ides that I could try?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Airplus Xtreme G Connecting LOW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What main host router Mfr and model are you using?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

duke46

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »

Router is a Linksys WRT54GS it has been where it is for a few years and grandkids computers have no problem connecting on second floor.

Maybe you over looked that I said another laptop 2 feet away works great with it.That laptop is wireless but it has a problem so wireless part is cut off and hardwired now but my card works good on it. A Lightening spike got it in 2012 while it was at my sons place. And now having to use a USB port to even hardwire it now.

I removed all phones that might enterfear with it and no change. The only thing I have not tried is to just cut that computer off. One never knows I guess?

I always use my wireless card on our carport and it wouldn't even connect but at least showed it but very weak and it was only 8 feet away and house is all wood. At one time I used it at my shop 225' away as long as I had the big door open and it had a clear shot to that room and window.

I see no reason to change any router settings knowing the computer right beside it works but will do a little checking. It is using chan 11 and security is as you stated it should be.

I am kind of lost at this pont but will double check all again when I get back to the house this evening.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »

Router is a Linksys WRT54GS it has been where it is for a few years and grandkids computers have no problem connecting on second floor.

Maybe you over looked that I said another laptop 2 feet away works great with it.That laptop is wireless but it has a problem so wireless part is cut off and hardwired now but my card works good on it. A Lightening spike got it in 2012 while it was at my sons place. And now having to use a USB port to even hardwire it now.
This could be the start of the problem. Verify that adapter works in a differnet PC and test at 2' and 14'

I removed all phones that might enterfear with it and no change. The only thing I have not tried is to just cut that computer off. One never knows I guess?

I always use my wireless card on our carport and it wouldn't even connect but at least showed it but very weak and it was only 8 feet away and house is all wood. At one time I used it at my shop 225' away as long as I had the big door open and it had a clear shot to that room and window.

I see no reason to change any router settings knowing the computer right beside it works but will do a little checking. It is using chan 11 and security is as you stated it should be.

I am kind of lost at this pont but will double check all again when I get back to the house this evening.

Ensure all PC HW drivers are up to date as well, Refer to Mfr support site information regarding HW drivers for the PC and mother board and USB if needed.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

duke46

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »

Maybe I have scared it into working :D
I had a little time so came up to the house with the card in the slot and tested at two windows at my sons old mobile home and the guy living there has an unsecured wireless and I could see it but no real signal.
Came to the house and outside it was very low and same inside. Cot off my sons old computer and then took this one in the room the router was located and it would at least go to good.
Cut off the cordless phone and had the others over 8 feet away and that phone also.
I had noticed before on our new home computer a wireless connection but it was hard wired so never even gave it a thought.
Shut down the home computer and then went to the bar and all was good and then went outside and it was working like normal again
Cut the home computer back on and my computer was still out side where I am now and it was working like it should.
Went back to the home computer and clicked on the wireless connection and it was connected to to the router and looked to be connected to my secure part of it and then showed connected to the Linsky?
I will check that out when I go back in the house. So what was going on I would have no idea. Even placing the cordless phones on my computer did nothing to hurt the connection.
Thanks for the advice and trying to help.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Airplus Xtreme G Connecting LOW (RESOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »

Glad you got it working. Enjoy.  ;)

duke46

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

It is still acting kind of screwy?? I think I need to check every thing again in the router settings. As per your instructions.

Can't hurt for sure. There is either something that is interfearing with it that I have not found in he house yet or the router or my poor old laptop or card??

Thanks and I may have questions latter and also hope I don't screw something up in my router. I have not messed with any setting on it in a few years and have to have my 68 yr old Brain in the correct thinking order if you understand what I am trying to say.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:30:24 AM »

Keep us posted...

duke46

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 05:57:17 AM »

It worked great out on the porch and at the bar in the house last night. It was set or chan 11 so latter on I set it to chan 6 just for the heck of it. All the other setting were good and some of the things that you had posted were not on this router.

I have not used the card on this computer once it started getting colder. That was like September maybe? But had bought a new desktop that was wireless and didn't even know it. And as I said it was connected two time to the router????? So I disabled both. That was more than likely what was causing the trouble I guess. That is my best guess.

I will find out more as time goes on.

duke46

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »

Well I have narrowed it down to my computer. It was working great yesterday out on the carport and had a great connection and then even though it was still connect good I could not get any where on the net. Took it inside and got right next to the router and sig was at the max but no go.

This morning I plugged it in again with the computer hard wired so I could look at the wireless properties and even my mouse was acting erratic. So I removed the card but got all the info I needed and then plugged it in the same way on my other computer. It as always did fine and checked to properties on it also. It is a Home XP and this one is Pro XP.

The only thing I saw diff was in the wireless network connections was the home XP one had listed.
wpa security protocol (IEEE8021x) V2.2.0.0 but every time I would plug the card into it then I would get at fire wall no on pop up and I did fix that.
This computer never showed it. Hell maybe I never had the fire wall on to start with?

I took this computer into the router area and installed the card again and had a good sig but my computer was really sluggist and even when the mouse would go over something on my desktop it would just like go away and then back up. I removed the card to shut it back down and walked away. Well there was a message on the screen to end program 0 because it was not responding and end now so I did. After restarting I put the card back in and did the same as before. I am now hard wired again and it works like it should.

I am at a total loss now. Do have a reason for the cause beside my computer is just getting old like me and maybe needs to be reinstalled or just buy a new one that I can't afford sad to say.

iluminameluna

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »

I know it's an OLD topic but in case anyone's looking: one of the things I do regularly is talk to my IP folks and ask them, NICELY, to update my FIRMWARE over their modem lines. YES, they can do that!! Not all the support folks know that so if the first person you get knows it, say thank you and call again. Eventually you'll find someone that'll know how to do that. You'll have to do a full reboot of your modem AND your router, then turn off your computer or laptop so that everything gets reconfigured in your BIOS as well BUT everything should be running smoothly after that. I say this because I have a RTW54G router and my son gave it to me after it had been in storage for over 7 yrs or so. Needless to say, we didn't know if it would even work. It did, for a while, but it was SO sluggish! After a round or MANY with support from my IP provider, and working w/ my son, I finally found that famed guy that updated its firmware and suddenly EVERYTHING was running smoothly.

Other than that, keep your computers running clean, I'd suggest: AVAST as an av; Spybot S&D; Malwarebytes, the free version run about once a wk; and if you run into any probs, keep an eye out at Tom's Hardware for hints on how to fix things.

Oh, and I'm here 'cause I can't seem to access my router pages. I'll start a thread for that though.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »

Thanks for the feed back.

Current and newer generation routers need to have the FW updated via it's web UI or manually from a LAN wired PC connected to the router and the FW file down loaded to the PC and sent to the router from the PC via a web browser using the routers web page UI.
We recommend following this process for all D-Link current and newer generation routers:
Link> >FW Update Process

Good Luck.