• April 23, 2024, 06:31:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow performance with Motion Detection  (Read 2314 times)

TKorho

• Level 2 Member
Slow performance with Motion Detection
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »

Transferring this topic from my other posts about DCS-2132L performance.
The topic created for reference to other users looking into the trouble.

I have had some performance problems with the DCS-2132L, including slow user interface, difficulties connecting to the camera, difficulties changing the motion detection state, delayed alert messages (to email or FTP), uneven or long picture interval in stored pictures, slow framerate in live picture, sometimes even missing media in event alerts. Overall the problem has been sluggish performance, mostly represented in the user interface (but not necessarily because of it!).

Today I believe the reason is exactly what it sounds if you look this computer-wise: too much to do, too little CPU resources. The computer inside the camera can not do all it would need as fast as it should. Similar functionality (motion detection from the picture) seems to work better in an other model (DCS-932L). The DCS-2132L is HD (ready) camera, while the other ones I have tested have much lesser resolution: smaller pictures are 2nd power easier to process. DLink doesn't tell you the CPU scpecs of the cameras, but it can be reasoned that HD picture is much more demanding to handle.

My hypothesis has gotten support when I turned Motion Detection off, and started using PIR detection. After that I have had NO PROBLEMS accessing or controlling the camera. The network reachability has been good since that.

I use my camera primarily for intrusion detection, in the possible case of the event, intruder identification. So full resolution is important for me, even if it is single pictures. The detection area can not be limited too much, since most of the area needs to be covered.

If you have similar sluggishness trouble, you can perhaps try:
  • using smaller resolution in camera settings
  • limit the detection area
  • use much reduced frame rate
  • use other means of detection: PIR or contact sensor
  • don't use the detection on the camera, but on picture receiver?

I haven't had time to test much smaller detection areas, but it should be obvious cure if the CPU is comparing the two areas each frame! The frame rate to compare with is definitely a factor, but I do not know if the user selection of the frame rate does affect the comparison rate?

I understand that some people are using the camera only as the camera sensor, and they have the detection calculated on a picture server. I don't know much at all about this, as I don't have specific external server looking after the camera, I have only external storage servers.

Also note that DLink says that it can do only limited framerate on higher resolutions. They don't really advertise that, but it can be read in the support materials.