• March 28, 2024, 06:46:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D-Link Easy Search Utility not detecting my DNS-323  (Read 26157 times)

ayandyan

• Level 1 Member
D-Link Easy Search Utility not detecting my DNS-323
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »

Hi,

We have this DNS-323 which had been bought some time ago but have never been used before. The ethernet cable, quick installation guide and the CD containing its manual and software that it came along with were already missing. Having decided to finally make use of the storage device or checking how to use it at least, I bought a new ethernet cable, downloaded the manual and the Easy Search Utility software.

So following the manual, I plugged in the power cord to the DNS-323, attached the ethernet cable from it to my laptop and turned on the device. The network and hard disk LED indicators from blinking turned to solid blue after a short while. At first there was no virtual connection from the PC to DNS-323, so i had to changed my PC TCP/IP settings (192.168.0.31) temporarily to have them both meet on the same ip address range. After doing that my PC says a LAN connection was established.

Now the problem is that if I ping 192.168.0.32 (DNS-323's default IP), i get a "Request timed out" response. When I ran the D-Link Easy Search Utility software, it could not detect the DNS-323. So, now I am wondering what I missed. I also tried connecting the DNS-323 directly to the router and ran the utility software on a PC that was a member of that network but still it could not detect or find it. What did i miss to do here?? Please advise.

???

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: D-Link Easy Search Utility not detecting my DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »

I would suggest that you reset the DNS323 using the pin hole in the back. IIRC, this will enable the DHCP server. Set your PC to obtain a dynamic IP address. Reboot both (DNS323 first, let it boot up fully). Then run the easy search.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »

Unless I am very much mistaken, resetting the DNS-323 using the pinhole switch, will NOT enable the DHCP server, since the default for this is disabled, it is however, a good place to start.

With the DNS-323 connected to your router, it should lease an ip address by DHCP and you should be able to find what address it is at by checking the appropriate screen in your router's admin pages, and with the laptop also connected to the router, you should be able to ping the DNS-323 and even open it's config pages in your web browser.

Strictly speaking the EasySearch Utility is not required, unless you need to change language, and sometimes gives trouble due to firewall & internet security suite settings.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

sstalker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:37:22 PM »

I am having a similar issue. 

I've had the DNS-323 for over a year and its been working up until today.  I started up my PC and it showed unable to connect all network drives.  So I tried the Easy Search utility and it does not display any devices.

I have tried resetting the DNS (inserting a pin during start-up) with no changes.  The DNS is connected directly to the router.

I've tried pinging the default IP address with no luck either.

I'm not sure where in my router (D-Link DI-724GU) I need to look to see what IP is being used.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:39:49 AM »

Your router should have a page for attached devices or DHCP leases or something similarly named.

Personally, I believe that all network shared resources - devices that are in some way shared, be they storage, printers, etc., - should have static addresses, set at the device, for ease of use, and the only reason I'm suggesting a reset to default for the original poster is that this is a new device and at this point unknown.

If you were using yours with a static address, then you'd have a reasonably good idea of where to look for it, and I would take a different troubleshooting approach - since you have reset it, you have no idea of where it will be, making that approach unuseable.

Is there a physical functional network connection to the DNS-323?  What do the front panel lights show?  The network link/activity LED is the bottom center - is it lit?

sstalker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »

I just noticed that the light on the router is not showing connected for the port its plugged into. 

I created a new thread for the issue.

EdC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

OK...... I have one of these DNS-323 units and mine is not recognized with the Easy Search utility either.

So why does D-Link include it and tout it as working?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »

If the DNS323 is not physically connected to the network and/or is misconfigured, why do you blame DLink and its software? If it doesn't connect to your router, try a different cable, and a different port. Enable a DHCP server and use the reset button on the DNS323 to force it to dynamically get an IP address.

Personally, I've never used the search software. Don't see the point in it for most people. The only thing it does really is scan a range of IP addresses to see if the unit is there. Just use 'ping' to find the device following the DHCP assignment range if you don't have a static IP.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:54:02 AM by dosborne »
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

EdC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »

Dosborn...take a hike if you don't have a solution hit the bricks

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »

Ok, fine, just curious how you expect to be able to find the unit when it hasn't connected to the router. Whatever dude.Good luck.

Just for fun, I ran the search in my setup and it finds the DNS323's that I have, so I guess that is likely why DLink says it works, because it does. But, it can't do miracles. If the network connectivity isn't there, then obviously it can't search and find it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:56:26 AM by dosborne »

EdC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »

where did you get the idea that the DNS-323 was not connected?

idiots with no knowledge abound here

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »

Lay off the 'tude dude.

I read "the light on the router is not showing connected", maybe that was just the guy before you. In any case, you don't seem to want any help so good luck.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:34:30 AM by dosborne »

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »

Agree with dosborne. The EasySearch utility works as advertised. Never had a problem.

1. Check your connnections. Cable? Is it plugged in fully? Is the cable good?
2. Check if your firewall or AntiVirus is blocking the easysearch from looking for the DNS 323?
3. Login to your router and check to see if the DNS 323 shows up in the list of connected devices.

@ Edc, dosborne has provided many many useful answers to many questions. So no need for the rough words. A little bit of patience and politeness will get you all the help you want to get your DNS 323 up and running.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »

OK...... I have one of these DNS-323 units and mine is not recognized with the Easy Search utility either.

So why does D-Link include it and tout it as working?

The ESU works - the two most common causes for the ESU not finding the DNS-323 are a software firewall or internet security suite preventing it from accessing the network and connecting the DNS-323 to networks with multiple routers.

rellikzephyr

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »

im having a similar ish problem

irregularly but still common, i have the my dns-323 looses it network map (win7) normally i restart dns, use easy search to restart and it works fine

today, the same thing happened, now im wondering if it is the dns over heating.   BUT today.  easy search will not find dns, entering dns ip directly to browser comes up empty too.  dns starting working again on its own, which is why im wondering if its an overheating issue.  but there is still no way i can find or enter setup of dns

any help would be appreciated, at this point im beginning to worry about the safety of my data

Thanks

RellikZephyr
Pages: [1] 2