D-Link Network Video Recorders > DNR-312L

Connecting.....

<< < (3/4) > >>

dougb:
OK, breakthrough wasn't quite as huge - the cameras do drop out from time to time, but now it's sort of the reverse of before - most of the time all cameras are connected, but every now and then one will drop out for like 5-10 seconds or so. I will continue investigating with different video profiles. I had bumped things up a fair amount, now I've come back some from that, but still more traffic than the minimums I had configured before.

FurryNutz:
You shouldn't need to separate SSIDs on the Orbi. My cameras work well on mine.  ;D

dougb:
So, it's been a while since I've provided an update. I ran for quite a while with split SSID's on my Orbi system, and the cameras worked better. However, I started having other problems with internet access from other devices. Apple TV's started having slower (and wildly varying) throughput, buffering pauses happened now and then, and so on. Eventually another Orbi user pointed out that they had found a test that looks for performance issues related to very small TCP requests:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

While this test is intended to identify problems with Intel Puma chipsets in routers, it's still a good test for identifying jitter and latency of a connection. Based on this, I have gone back to a single SSID for both my 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. My other devices now have much better connectivity, but my cameras are now back to having connectivity issues similar to when I started.

One key difference is that I have replaced my two non-DCS-2630L cameras with DCS-2630L cameras. So all 7 cameras are the same now.

I have decided that camera connectivity, while important, is less important than smooth connections for streaming to my 5 apple TVs, everyone's mobile devices, and so on. I would think that eventually something will turn up to address these issues. Perhaps D-Link might start testing with some of these Mesh WiFi systems?

FurryNutz:
That test tool is for cable modems and gateway cable modems only and would not be recommended to use for testing wifi or external routers. If you want to check what wired and wireless is really doing, try using pingplotter.com. This would offer more accurate information about what your trying to test.

I have 3 different DCS cameras and they all work with an Orbi system. Tested two different Orbi systems.
D-Link would be testing there own MESH systems. COVR is D-Link's mesh systems.

dougb:
I tried PingPlotter, and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with it. I tried it with a few different sites, www.google.com, www.yahoo.com, my work's web site, and all of them were in the yellow a lot, and sometimes in the red.

Where can I find out what this is showing me, and what needs to be done to address it? Also, why do almost all of my DCS-2630L cameras show as disconnected from my NVR-312L? I also tried iSpy, same results. It just seems that the DCS-2630L is very confused by 2.4GHz and 5GHz both being accessible from the same SSID.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version