• March 18, 2024, 07:47:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: IR lights stay on in manual IR mode  (Read 11893 times)

sark666

• Level 1 Member
IR lights stay on in manual IR mode
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »

I was trying to set this up pointed out a back window, but obviously ran into the IR lights reflecting back on the glass.  I don't have an external IR light yet, but just tried the manual IR mode and the IR lights stay on.

Is this s a known bug?  Or is there a workaround to get it to work properly.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: IR lights stay on in manual IR mode
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:57:05 AM »

This is not a known bug, just how IR works on the DCS-932L/942L.

Unfortunately, the only way to disable the IR lights while the camera is in Night Mode is tocover the IR lights (e.g. with electrical tape). This is the approach other DCS-942L owners have successfully used when working with external IR illuminators.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

sark666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »

As I mentioned in the firmware thread, then what is the option manual IR for?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »

As I mentioned in the firmware thread, then what is the option manual IR for?

I just reviewed the DCS-942L manual and you're absolutely correct -- my bad. If that's not functioning properly, then yes, we should characterize your request as a bug.

If you review the DCS-942L manual, there are instructions on how to use this functionality. There is an IR LED On/Off button on the LIVE VIDEO page on the UI that appears only when the camera is set to Manual IR. Please post back as to whether this functionality works for you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:41:54 AM by JavaLawyer »

sark666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »

Thank you it does work.  However, I wouldn't have thought changing a setting on the  live video (profile 1) would have had an impact on the other profiles.  It's good it has it in the live video setting as you might want to cycle the IR lights on/off to compare with what your external lighting is providing, but again, I wouldn't think that would affect the other profiles.

I would think the manual IR setting would influence all and the live profile can cycle it on/off while watching a live view.

But I'm glad there's a way of doing it.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »

Thank you it does work.  However, I wouldn't have thought changing a setting on the  live video (profile 1) would have had an impact on the other profiles.  It's good it has it in the live video setting as you might want to cycle the IR lights on/off to compare with what your external lighting is providing, but again, I wouldn't think that would affect the other profiles.

I would think the manual IR setting would influence all and the live profile can cycle it on/off while watching a live view.

But I'm glad there's a way of doing it.

Yes, it's not the most eligant solution, but at least it works.

sark666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »

I may have jumped the gun.  I was testing in low lighting, but tried it again  it in a bright room.  If I enable manual IR and then go to the live video and turn off led, they do indeed turn off, but the camera goes to colour.  I tried comparing it to daytime mode and it's identical. 

So it seems manual IR is just simply going to colour mode.  I believe another user was mentioning this with screenshots.  So it does seem like a bug.

Well, I'll try it tonight taping the IR lights.

sark666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »

I believe this manual IR was just an option to be able to cycle ir mode/day light mode on the fly in live view and not meant to turn off IR lights for external IR lighting.

However, my understanding is pretty much all cameras absorb IR light and the ones that don't are because they have an IR cut filter in front of the lens.  So I assume this camera simply doesn't have that ir cut filter and is always capturing IR light even in day mode.

What I'm getting at is, wouldn't simply choosing black and white from the image settings page and using an external IR be the same thing as turning off the IR lights in night mode?  Or does going to IR night mode do something more (like somehow filter visible light) than simply go b & w and turn on IR lights?

sark666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »

I know we discussed this previously, but the part in your change log/wish list:

Night Mode - Ability to disable IR Illuminator while the camera is in Night Mode (i.e. to enable application of a third party IR Illuminator) [FIXED!]

That feature doesn't actually exist.  Currently, you can enable the option manual IR, which once enabled allows the user to cycle night mode on/off from the live view.  But it does not allow you to go to night mode with the IR lights off.

As far as I can see, there is no way of doing this currently.  So the above should be re-added to the wish list and not marked as fixed.

rvince

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »

The prior poster is absolutely right.  And the last mention of this on the forum is from April.   The manual IR does nothing other than allow you to toggle the ir, which when toggeld off, automatically enters day mode and renders the use of an external ir useless.  I don't know if it is a bug or a very easy update request that should have been fixed long ago.  Would appreciate if you could bring it back up to the Dlink folks attention. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:16 AM »

I believe this manual IR was just an option to be able to cycle ir mode/day light mode on the fly in live view and not meant to turn off IR lights for external IR lighting.

However, my understanding is pretty much all cameras absorb IR light and the ones that don't are because they have an IR cut filter in front of the lens.  So I assume this camera simply doesn't have that ir cut filter and is always capturing IR light even in day mode.

What I'm getting at is, wouldn't simply choosing black and white from the image settings page and using an external IR be the same thing as turning off the IR lights in night mode?  Or does going to IR night mode do something more (like somehow filter visible light) than simply go b & w and turn on IR lights?

The DCS-942L does have a cut filter in front of the lense. The cutover is the source of the clicking noise when the camera transitions between day and night modes.