• April 25, 2024, 09:45:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 323 Drive Volume_1 Spins Up on Laptop Wake?  (Read 3912 times)

eclipse31

• Level 1 Member
323 Drive Volume_1 Spins Up on Laptop Wake?
« on: June 02, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »

Searched the forums, but wasn't able to find anything on this. Went to a new laptop, switched from XP to Vista. When I wake the laptop from sleep, volume_1 on the 323 will spin up within about a minute of the laptop coming out of sleep. Didn't have this problem with XP. All of the various servers are shut off on the 323. Thoughts? Running firmware 1.05. No plans to upgrade until 1.08 is out of Beta.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:06:25 PM by eclipse31 »

Frankie

• Level 1 Member
Re: 323 Drive Volume_1 Spins Up on Laptop Wake?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »

do you have the drive mapped onto that laptop?

eclipse31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

I only occassionally map a drive, and don't use the reconnect on startup option, so that's not it. Happens even on a clean boot from the laptop.

rendin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »

I know this thread's a little old, but if I had to guess it might have to do with the Link Layer Topology Discovery in the Vista networking properties. I'm not sure what kind of interval it goes out and looks for devices, but that could be it. I guess to be sure you'd have to disable it and see if the problem reoccurs.

eclipse31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem. I thought I had tried that before, but must have been another option I was playing with in the networking properties. Makes me wonder what is being "discovered" on the DNS-323 that is forcing a drive spin-up? Maybe a fix in a future firmware release Dlink! :)

I know this thread's a little old, but if I had to guess it might have to do with the Link Layer Topology Discovery in the Vista networking properties. I'm not sure what kind of interval it goes out and looks for devices, but that could be it. I guess to be sure you'd have to disable it and see if the problem reoccurs.

eclipse31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »

I guess I spoke too soon. Looks like it didn't fix the problem. My laptop was sitting on a different subnet from the DNS-323 for a couple of days.  >:(

Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem. I thought I had tried that before, but must have been another option I was playing with in the networking properties. Makes me wonder what is being "discovered" on the DNS-323 that is forcing a drive spin-up? Maybe a fix in a future firmware release Dlink! :)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

The below is conjecture.

More likely is just that Vista is getting a directory listing from all SMB peers it knows of on wake, as where XP waited until you went to "Network Places" or your mapped drive.
non progredi est regredi