• April 23, 2024, 04:05:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 323 - Xbox 360 media & home network  (Read 5431 times)

dexstroyer

• Level 1 Member
323 - Xbox 360 media & home network
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:02 AM »

Hi there,

I've just bought a DLink-323 which I like the look of, nice blue lights!!!

Anyway I have 2 x 360's and couple of Pc's I'd like to share my music and media too, as well as keeping my documents safe. It only arrived yesterday plugged in and did the 1.06 firmware update, formatted the HDD's to RAID1 and seems to be working ok. I only transferred 1 album on to it to test first which I can see from both Pc's but not the 360's.
I also see it has a Bt client, is this something similar to Bitlord, and is it easy to use?
Is there a guide you can point me towards save me mithering you lot?

Cheers.

edifonzo

• Level 1 Member
Re: 323 - Xbox 360 media & home network
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »

After firmware upgrade be sure to RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFALTS. This will turn the UPNP off. After the reboot turn the UPNP back on.

After you add files to the DNS-323 be sure to refresh the UPNP, its a button near the top of the UPNP page.

Also why RAID1? If it is for backup please consider that RAID1 is not a good primary backup plan. I would suggest putting both HD's in standard formatting and scheduling a backup of Volume_1 to Volume_2.

there are some tutorials on the internets about this.

PEace

dexstroyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »

Thanks for the reply, yeah I manged to find the post saying to restore to factory and that worked, but in the meantime I have reformatted and gone for Jbod. But now my 360 is unable to view my videos, pc can see them though.....I'd of thought this would of been a little easier. any ideas?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »

The XBOX360, and PS3 for that matter, have limited media format capabilities.  It may be possible that your video (and audio) encoding or type may not be supported by the XBOX360.

Cheers,

dexstroyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:17:50 AM »

It's all the stuff it used to play from the pc, avi's and mp3's.

Just dont know why it's not working.... :'(

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

A known issue is if you have media files the 323 isn't able to recognize, it can stop the server from indexing the rest of your files.  Can you try to create a folder and put a small sample of your collection in it, then point the 323's UPnP server to that new folder and see what happens?

ecb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »

Hi, I am in a similar situation, however I couldn't even get my 360 to see my 323.  What I did was install fun_plug and Twonky and it seems to work a lot better (so far).  Pretty sad that I'll need to spend $30 to get this to work reliably, but if it does actually work and work well, it's worth it.

FYI there might be some weirdness with JBOD.  I went from a RAID 1 setup to 2 independent drives and behaviour changed.  RAID 1 went smoothly while with 2 drives, depending on the media I choose (pic, vid, music) the 360 will either see one or both drives in the 323.  It's weird, but as long as it's consistent I can deal since I'm only using one drive for live data while the other is for backups.