• April 23, 2024, 03:37:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 323 - Set up questions - Mac OS Snow leopard  (Read 6332 times)

royq

• Level 1 Member
323 - Set up questions - Mac OS Snow leopard
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

Hey there. Just purchased a used 323. I want to hook it up via ethernet to my router. I plan on installing 2 - 2TB drives and mirroring them Raid1.
I will use for backup. Any quick tips or hurdles to watch out for?
Thanks in advance.

Roy

lookingforinfo

Re: 323 - Set up questions - Mac OS Snow leopard
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »

I do not believe their CD that is distributed with the box will work with OS X.  Their Quick Installation Guide assumes you have a Windows machine.  Now I know that you do not need the Easy Search Utility,  but you need to know the existing IP assignments on your sub-net so you can find the IP that is assigned to the box when it is connected to the network.  The netstat -rn | head -20 command works, but I would hope there is a better command.  After the device is connected you can use Safari to connect to the web interface at http://192.168.1.???/web.  (The Easy Search Utility finds the DNS-323 and makes the GUI connection.)

Hopefully others will provide you with better and more complete information.

blackbox

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »

Not all 2TB drives are supported. See this thread for more information.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12977.0

Chronosync works well with Snow Leopard and DNS-323.
http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

I gave my DNS-323 a fixed IP address. I refer to the DNS-323 by IP address in Finder & Chronosync.

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »

Hi,

Isn't it just incredible to find a piece of kit in this day and age that doesn't acknowledge that operating systems other than Windoze exist...? Remarkable.

I used Zenmap to scan my network and locate the Dlink box.

http://nmap.org/zenmap/

Once you are connected to it through your browser it seems to be OS agnostic, pretty much.

E

royq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »

Thanks for the info. Chronosync sounds like it is worth exploring.
I assume that I will hook up the 323 via ethernet to my Linksys Router and then launch the router web page to see what address the 323 is at. Then go/connect to server and enter the IP address assigned to the 323 via the Linksys?

Thanks again,
Roy

blackbox

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:17:14 PM »

Hi,

Connect the DNS-323 to the router via ethernet.

Log into the router to find out the IP address for the DNS-323 and the DHCP IP address range.

Log into the DNS-323 and give it a static IP address that is outside the DHCP range of the router.
eg: If the router IP address is 192.168.1.1 (this may vary with different model routers), and the DHCP range is for example 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100, give the DNS-323 an unused fixed IP address between 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.254.

Let's say you have given the DNS-323 the fixed IP address 192.168.1.200, in finder, click on "go", "connect to server", enter smb://192.168.1.200 in the "server address" field and then click "connect".
If you have a password protected directory that you want to connect to, change the server address to suit. eg: smb://192.168.1.200/directoryname

In Chronosync refer to the DNS-323 by IP address.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:20:22 PM by blackbox »

royq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

@blackbox.

OK. First all. Thank you so much for taking the time to inform me. "Global community" indeed. You and the others that have posted, embody that expression.
Now. I've connected to the new drives on the 323 via Go/Connect to server/Browse. Linked to the dlink html and I am formatting the 2 - 2 TB drives as Raid 1 (mirrored). My next question is, how/where/what  do I assign the static IP address?
I'm not there yet and I may figure it out on my own. I just get confused as to whether my Mac or the Linksys router page or the dlink page should be administering these commands.

blackbox

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:55:13 AM »

@blackbox.
My next question is, how/where/what  do I assign the static IP address?

Log into the web interface of the DNS-323, on the left you will see, wizard, lan, device and logout. Click on LAN. Change from DHCP client to static IP, enter all of the settings, click save settings.

Karnage

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »

..or alternatively find the address and be refused any sort of connection whatsoever!

Can't even get a 404, just told I can't get any connection. I watched it's address appear as it was booting up. I have refreshed a few times and can account for all other connections so I'm not trying the wrong address.

Oh well, back to supplier it is I guess.....

Hope no-one else has similar experiences.

Karn.