• April 16, 2024, 05:00:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot install Active-TV SW on XP2. Can install it on Vista.  (Read 6362 times)

sr59899

Cannot install Active-TV SW on XP2. Can install it on Vista.
« on: December 25, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »

Hi all,

I have two computers a desktop running XP home edition with SP2 and a laptop running Vista.  I have a DSM-520 which works and allows me to content from both PCs.  However I want to use the Active-TV feature but cannot seem to get the Active-TV SW working properly on the XP machine.  It always says that the server status is "Disabled" and if I click "Restart" it still will not turn on.  On the laptop I can get the server running no problem.  However I still cannot get passed the logging into Active-TV PC state in the DSM-520.  It gets stuck there and I get a "lost connection" message after a while.

The desktop has a wired internet connection to my wireless router.  The laptop is wireless. And I'm using the DSM-520 wireless also.

Please help with both problems: 1) Getting the Active-TV SW installed on the Desktop and 2) Get Active-TV working with the laptop.

Thanks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Cannot install Active-TV SW on XP2. Can install it on Vista.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:52:28 AM »

Do you have Universal Plug and Play Device Host (UPnP) enabled on the PC in the Services on this computer?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

sr59899

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:30:06 AM »

Yes it's enabled.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »

And I assuming Windows Media Player 11 is installed on the computer also. Do you have and anti-virus software or personal firewalls software installed?

sr59899

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »

Yes Windows Media Player 11 is installed.  No anti-virus or firewall SW is installed.  And I turned off the Windows firewall.

Like I said earlier viewing photos/videos/music works fine so I don't think I have a firewall problem (at least not with viewing photos/videos/music).  I'm having trouble getting Active-TV SW working properly on the desktop.  Maybe there's a firewall problem with Active-TV SW?

Regarding the laptop, I'm thinking of putting it on the network with a wired connection and turning off the wireless since that's the only computer I can get the Active-TV software working properly and I can see my laptop when I start Active-TV in the DSM-520 but I'm having trouble getting past the Login screen on the DSM-520.  I'm wondering if there's a problem with the whole network being wireless when using Active-TV? Anyone get Active-TV working successfully on a completely wireless network?

Also, Will looking at logs help solve my problem?

sr59899

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »

Not sure what happened but Active-TV started working with the laptop yesterday.  Probably a reboot of the laptop did it.  This time I got a message from my firewall SW asking whether I'd like to grant access.  I granted it and it worked.  However, it's extremely slow.  Active-TV content updates very slowly but I can watch clips fairly well (some clips cut start/stop).  Also, browsing the content with the remote is slow.

Now if I can just get Active-TV working on my desktop.  I'm guessing it will be faster with the desktop since it has a wired network connection.

sr59899

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »

Finally got it working.  Here's what I learned from Media Mall:

some application or setting on your PC is blocking our application from accessing our registry key (HKLM\Software\MediaMall) from our device accounts (MMT1, MMT2, etc).  I am not sure what is causing it...we have never seen this before on thousands of PCs.  Can you check the effective permissions on this key for the "MMRD Users" group?

You may also try to add MMT1, MMT2, etc to the admin group as a workaround to see if that "fixes" it.

So I added "MMT1", "MMT2", and "MMRD Users" to the HKLM\Software\MediaMall registry key and gave them "Full Control" and the server status now shows "Running".  I'm not sure why these were not in my registry in the first place.

Anyway Active-TV is working now on both my PCs

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »

Please they the New ActiveTV software on the DSM-520 support website. It should resolve this issue without editing anything on your PC.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSM%2D520