• March 28, 2024, 02:59:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware upgrade failed  (Read 7849 times)

veague

Firmware upgrade failed
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »

I tried upgrading the firmware on my DSM-520 from 1.04 to 1.05.  The download started OK; was at about 10% when I left the room.  Came back a few minutes later and the DSM was off (no blue light / nothing on the TV, all other AV components still running OK).  I left it for a while, but nothing happened.  Now, it will not power on at all.  It appears dead as if unplugged from AC power.

Any suggestions?  I'm concerned to failed in the midst of the firmware upgrade.  Any way to recover?

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Re: Firmware upgrade failed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »

Have you tried pressing the reset button on the back of the DSM520?

veague

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 08:06:46 AM »

Yes, I pressed the "reset" button with no effect.  I opened the unit and can see one green and one amber LED lit on the main circuit board, and voltages coming off the power supply look correct.  I press the reset button for 10 seconds, the LEDs go off, then come back on, but still no "power on" light on the front, and nothing on the TV screen.

I don't know if these symptoms are indicative of a bad firmware install, or if the unit is actually toast.  It's 13 months old, just out of warranty.  Go figure.

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 09:02:54 AM »

It sounds like it did fail before you open it up I would call D-Link and see if they can make warrantied repairs, I know you mentioned the device is 13 months old but I have heard of alot of companies that either don't check purchase date against warranty or will just go on and do you one solid to be customer friendly.  However if you open up that device and they found out I would bet all hopes of them being kind with your "warranty" would be toast.

Are there any warranty seals on the DSM-520 again?
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 09:39:21 AM »

If your device will not even power on at this point please call technical support.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

k5xjs

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »

I brought home a brand new DSM-520 last week and after setting it up I let it do the firmware update from 1.02 to 1.05.  At 55% the update hung and after several hours of waiting the unit died with exactly the same symptoms that you described.  D-Link support did not hesitate to say take it back and that this has been a common problem. 

I'm now on unit #2 with auto update disabled and plan on just sticking with v1.02 which seems to work fine. The only thing I wonder is if an update via the USB slot using a flash drive might be safer.

veague

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »

I have contacted D-Link tech support and to their credit (and after trying a few obvious things) gave me an RMA # and a replacement unit is on the way.

I had successfully updated the firmware in the past; don't know if the failure is related to the 1.05 update or just luck of the draw.  I can't find any documentation on how to do a firmware update via USB as an alternative.

k5xjs

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:28 AM »

I am so happy to hear that they are going to fix yours or send you a new one. It seems that they are ackowledging that there is a problem.  I'll bet they send you  a brand new one with the 1.02 firmware installed, then you will have the same choice I do - update or no update.

As for the USB upgrade, there may not be any official instructions but a google search of dsm-520+firmware+USB returns lots of other forums where people have posted the instructions on doing it. I'm hoping that one of the forum moderators here might throw his two cents in on the subject. For now I figure 1.02 is working and if it aint broke, don't fix it!

veague

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »

To close this thread out, I received the replacement DSM.  It came with 1.02 and I upgraded it 1.05 without a problem.  Life is good.  Thanks, D-Link!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »

Firmware can be upgraded to the latest firmware and tested before shipped if requested when you receive an RMA to avoid any further issues.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream