• April 18, 2024, 12:52:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Connecting DSM-520 to Windows Vist  (Read 12738 times)

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
Connecting DSM-520 to Windows Vist
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »

I am having a time trying to get my DSM-520 to connect to my new Dell Windows Vista Ultimate machine.  I have followed the instructions to enable UPnP support and allow Media sharing.  Am currently running Firmware revision 1.05 on the DSM-520 and 1.09 on the media Lounge software.  Also have tried using Windows Media Player 11 as the server.  No luck.  I'm sure it's someting I've overlooked, but could use some help.  Home network is lynksys wireless g.  This setup works on my older Windows XP machine.

Thanks

Sluggo

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Connecting DSM-520 to Windows Vist
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:42:47 AM »

Are you able to successfully ping the DSM-520 from your PC?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:55:31 AM »

When you turned on media sharing in Windows Media player, did you enable the DSM-520 as an authorized device?

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:58:59 AM »

When you turned on media sharing in Windows Media player, did you enable the DSM-520 as an authorized device?
Yes.  It is listed in the window as My Media Player with a green check mark.  I have also tried disabling the firewall in McAfee.  No difference.

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »

Yes.  I am able to ping the DSM-520 and response time is very good.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

Yes.  I am able to ping the DSM-520 and response time is very good.

When you are using your DSM-520 are you able to see any servers listed when you go the My Media Section? Or if you go to Setup and then System and scan for media servers does anything show up? Is the issue the device not seeing the media servers or playing the content on them?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

Sluggo

In you Network and Sharing Center is you network set to Private and do you have Media Sharing enabled under the Sharing and Discovery options?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »

To Karma,

When scanning for servers, the DSM-520 only sees my old XP machine.  On that it seems to work ok.  Can play music and video.  In the new Vista machine, media sharing is turned on and the DSM-520 is listed with a green check mark.  In the networking area, it is set to private.

chenrikson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »

Have you tried removing the XP machine from the network?  Do you load the D-Link server (or TVersity, Twonky, et.al.) before scanning for servers?  I don't think Vista is your problem, but there is something set up incorrectly.  Try going thru the setup procedure again, perhaps after a hard reset on the 520 to see if you can identify a server on your Vista machine.

Macfoo

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 12:15:44 PM »

You may want to look at configuring you McAfee software for the media server program to work properly with your network devices. you may need to contact McAfee.

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »

Have you tried removing the XP machine from the network?  Do you load the D-Link server (or TVersity, Twonky, et.al.) before scanning for servers?  I don't think Vista is your problem, but there is something set up incorrectly.  Try going thru the setup procedure again, perhaps after a hard reset on the 520 to see if you can identify a server on your Vista machine.
Yes, I did remove the XP machine with no change.  What I did find was that I had to allow the specific IP address of the 520 in McAfee.  After that, everything sort of works ok.  My problem now is that periodicly, the 520 cannot find the server and shuts down.  I have tried bypassing the wireless and hooking everything thru the router directly.  Still periodicly reports that no server can be found.

ccontreras

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »

Have you tried to also use Active-TV? since you have firmware version 1.05 you can use Active-TV as your server.

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:43:42 AM »

Have you tried to also use Active-TV? since you have firmware version 1.05 you can use Active-TV as your server.
Just got the Active-TV software installed.  Results are the same.  Have done some timing by monitoring the available servers available to the 520.  It looses all active servers every 30 seconds.  Even the older XP machine.  However, when playing music and using the XP as the server, I never stop playing music.  It will play all day long.  The new Vista machine will play for maybe half an hour or so and then stop playing.  When you monitor the 520, it reports that server connection has been lost.  It must be something in the Vista machine or McCafee causing the problem.

Any idea's by anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Sluggo

Macfoo

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »

Yeah I would say it is the anti-virus software causing this problem, the DSM-520 does not disconnect every 30 minutes on its own using Windows Vista it would have to be some third party software on your machine.