• March 28, 2024, 07:25:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Missing Support for Matroska H.264 Video Files  (Read 9778 times)

Tigrman699

• Level 1 Member
Missing Support for Matroska H.264 Video Files
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

I am pissed off!!!!   Just got the phone with a Level 3 Tech who told me that Dlink has no intention of adding support for these HD video files, even though they have added exactly such support to the DSM 750 through a firmware upgrade!!!

According to this Tech, more people have bought the DSM 750 than the DSM 520, so Dlink doesn't deem it necessary to have their engineers develop firmware for this purpose when it comes to the 520 model, even though both models display 1080i resolution and, except for the extended windows media center (something I have no interest in), are otherwise identical.   In fact, the Tech suggested that I should buy the 750 (and presumably throw away the 520 and the money I spent on it) if I want to have this HD video support!!!!

In my opinion, Dlink has sunk to a new low (and this coming from a previously satisfied customer who owns 3 Dlink routers, 3 Dlink network adapters, and the DSM 520).  Its obvious that the folks at Dlink don't have a clue as to what constitutes "good customer service" when it comes to their loyal customers who buy their products with the good faith belief that they will be supported for a reasonable period of time, even after they re-design the same product to add a new feature or two, so as to be able to raise the original purchase price. 

Apparently, since to Dlink its a numbers game, I am kindly asking everyone who reads this post, owns a DSM 520, and would like to have a firmware upgrade to play these HD files, to leave a comment here so that Dlink can see that its not just the people who bought the DSM 750 that are interested in this upgrade.  I will also start a poll for a similar purpose in hopes that this post and the poll will convince Dlink to change its ways.  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:38:11 PM by Tigrman699 »

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
Re: Missing Support for Matroska H.264 Video Files
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »

I would also really like to have MKV support and H.264 support in the 520.  However these are two completely separate items.  MKV is a container similar to AVI but it is newer, arguably better, more flexible, and it can hold a video stream with a fair number of different video codec types (including XVID and H.264) with a variety of resolutions.  H.264 is an implementation of MPEG 4 (part 10) similar to XVID or DIVX but again, newer and arguably better.

Neither MKV or H.264 infers HD video, however most people on the net currently use these two items in conjunction for HD video files.  But you could use either of these separately or for SD videos.

Even though I would like these features I am a little confused why you are pissed off with DLINK.  The web site never said it supported the MKV container or the H.264 video codec.  If they don't want to support that stuff, it is up to them, but it does leave a lot of people that want these features hanging.  I am more pissed off with the audio sync problems I have with my 3 DSM-520s then with them not supporting items that were not popular or exist when the 520 was designed. 

It might be incorrect or a lie, but I heard from tech support the 520 did not have the horsepower to handle
the H.264 codec since it is much more CPU intensive then something like XVID.  As for MKV, it is a container, nothing more.  It should be an easy update to support it.

Also, the 520 does support 1080p video no problem however I would suggest using the wired ethernet and not the wireless.

To conclude, I also really want these features however I doubt it will happen.  I just transcode the H.264 to XVID using AVIDemux and live the extra step.

Thx for bringing this topic up again.  It isn't the first time is has been brought up on the forum and it won't be the last...

Tigrman699

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »

kolinb...thanks for your reply.  In response, the reason I am pissed at Dlink is because in several phone conversations over several months ago, they indicated that they were, in fact, working on the mkv/264 upgrade for the 520 model.  Apparently, this was before they decided to manufacture the 750 model with the added features.  In contrast to your comment, I think Dlink does have an affirmative obligation (referred to as basic customer service) to continue to support the DSM 520 with new video codecs as they come out, unless it is impossible/impracticable to do so.  In this case, however, since they were able to do just that with the DSM 750, they should be able to do so with the DSM 520.  And, if you're right about it being a power issue of some sort, why haven't they responded that way to the previous posts and requests regarding this matter?  They should, at the very least, come forward and explain their position as to why no such firmware upgrade will be forthcoming.  That is the essence of good customer service. 

By the way, when I say full explanation, I mean something more than "due to hardware limitations" stated by ECF for Dlink in his April 08 post.  Dlink owes its customers who bought the 520 in good faith a precise explanation of what these so-called "hardware limitations" consist of and what makes the 750 better in this regard. 

ECF's implied advice to simply junk the 520 and buy a new 750 is not reasonable nor acceptable!!!!   Even Apple continues to support its older I-phones with apps, etc., long after introducing the new 3-g I-phone.  Unless Dlink can reasonably document these "limitations" it owes its customers the time and effort it takes to undertake the necessary firmware upgrade. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:00:29 PM by Tigrman699 »

zaras27

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:17:30 AM »

I agree with Tigrman that Dlink should update the 520 the soonest possible .They left the device to its own...unfortunately and all us who spent all these money . >:(

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

Guys.. I do not want to stir the pot, but over the past few years I have purchased all 3 devices. I have always had to drive the the 510 + 520 with TVersity to be able to watch DivX. Not a complaint mind you. The 750 plays DivX and H.264 video files right from my NAS and so far it has not faltered. Combined with an N Router, the combo is pretty tight. I too have single sourced my hardware with D-Link and feel that the support for the 520 has been somewhat lacking.   

The folk at TVersity flat out refuse to write any support for H.264 on the 520 due to chip limitations. Any file that it cannot handle it tries to transcribe, if it can, which adds to the discomfort.

Bottom line is that hardware will evolve and what was great yesterday is just good today. ce

Tigrman699

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »

"The folk at TVersity flat out refuse to write any support for H.264 on the 520 due to chip limitations. Any file that it cannot handle it tries to transcribe, if it can, which adds to the discomfort."

What exactly do you mean by "chip limitations" above?  A little bit of clarification might help to resolve this issue once and for all.  Also, I am not clear on what you mean by "transcribe" as used in your second sentence above.  Lastly, I am not sure why a decision by a third-party software distibutor, such as TVersity, should have any relevance to this discussion but I am willing to wait for further clarification from Dlink, which so far is not forthcoming even though I emailed ECF, a Dlink global technician, a copy of this thread. 

Thanks!!!

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »

You'll never get support from D-Link to support H.264.  The DSM-520 uses the Sigma Designs EM8620L processor which in incapable of H.264 decoding.    This is the chip limitation.  See the brochure and you'll see that H.264 is not supported.

http://sigmadesigns.com/public/Products/EM8620L/pdf_files/EM8620L_br.pdf

The DSM-750 has H.264 support because it has the EM8622L processor which has the horsepower to handle it. 

zaras27

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »

"The folk at TVersity flat out refuse to write any support for H.264 on the 520 due to chip limitations. Any file that it cannot handle it tries to transcribe, if it can, which adds to the discomfort."

What exactly do you mean by "chip limitations" above?  A little bit of clarification might help to resolve this issue once and for all.  Also, I am not clear on what you mean by "transcribe" as used in your second sentence above.  Lastly, I am not sure why a decision by a third-party software distibutor, such as TVersity, should have any relevance to this discussion but I am willing to wait for further clarification from Dlink, which so far is not forthcoming even though I emailed ECF, a Dlink global technician, a copy of this thread. 

Thanks!!!

They will never reply to you........and they will tell you to buy the 750 like me .The company unofficially told me that they stop the support ...unfortunately

Tigrman699

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »

Thank you fccgrant for finally clarifying and resolving this matter for all of us who bought the DSM 520 thinking that it would be the last media player they would need.  Once again, it seems that it does not pay to be an early adopter of technology, especially when it comes to Dlink products.  One has to wonder how much money Dlink saved by going with the cheaper chip for the 520, rather than just getting the better chip in the first place. 

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »

I've never thought this would be the last media player I would need.  Products and media formats either improve or are replaced.  Intel and AMD come out with better chips that are faster and do more than a year ago.  Microsoft comes out with a new Windows version every 2 years which requires us to upgrade or replace our computers to make it work correctly.

D-Link comes out with the DSM-750 as an improvement to the DSM-520.  (by the way...the DSM-750 was meant to be a Viiv compliant media extender.  When Intel dropped the Viiv concept the DSM-750 function similar to a DSM-520.)

The DSM-520 has been around since late 2005.  The DSM-750 has been around since Spring of 2008.   It is likely that the chipset used in the DSM-750 didin't exist when the DSM-520 was in development.  In addition, it is likely that H.264 didn't have broad acceptance as a media format during the DSM-520's development as the first version of H.264 didn't appear until 2003.   

Welcome to the expensive world of high technology.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »

You'll never get support from D-Link to support H.264.  The DSM-520 uses the Sigma Designs EM8620L processor which in incapable of H.264 decoding.    This is the chip limitation.  See the brochure and you'll see that H.264 is not supported.

http://sigmadesigns.com/public/Products/EM8620L/pdf_files/EM8620L_br.pdf

The DSM-750 has H.264 support because it has the EM8622L processor which has the horsepower to handle it. 

fccgrant is correct. I am very sorry but the DSM-520 just does not have ability or horsepower to provide support for H.264 unfortunately. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »

I think the best we can hope for (apart from living with the 520) is to see if DLink will offer an upgrade program to give a credit to the existing 520 users if they trade in a 520 for a 750.

A question for DLink, is there a newer model in the works? 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »

Nope not that I know of. The DSM-750 is the latest and greatest at this time. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream