• April 19, 2024, 06:34:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is the replacement for the DSM-750  (Read 18629 times)

totally_awesome

• Level 1 Member
What is the replacement for the DSM-750
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »

Hello,

I recently called D-link and they told me that the replacement for the DSM-750 is the DSM-380. I looked at the DSM-380 (Boxee box) and it appears to be a media player and not a Windows media extender. Looking around the internet it appears that the only currently supported media extender is the Microsoft X-box.
  Is anyone aware of any other replacements for the DSM-750?

Regards,

Dave

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: What is the replacement for the DSM-750
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »

The Boxee Box is presently the gold standard for streaming media devices. Other manufacturers are trying to catch up to this latest device which was released approximately one year ago. The Boxee box will pickup and stream media stored on other NAS, PCs, and other storage devices on the same local network as well as Internet based streaming sources.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

totally_awesome

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for the info about the DSM-380 (boxee box). I have spent some time looking at the DSM-380 and I have not seen the ability to controll a TV tuner card and or have the channel listings. So there is a difference between a media player and the Windows Media center extender.
  Please correct me if I a wrong.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:31:45 AM »

In that regard I believe you are correct. D-Link does not support the DSM-380 on this forum, but rather opted to route self-help support to the following site: Boxee Forum/.

After you visit that forum, please post back what you learn.  :)

totally_awesome

• Level 1 Member
Replacements for the DSM-750
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »

Hello,

I have been looking around at replacements for the DSM-750. I have just got my 2nd DSM-750 (after my first one turned into a brick). The reason for me getting another DSM-750 are as follows

• It works with .dvr-ms and .wtv formats that come from Windows Media Center
  • It has he ability to control the TV tuner card in the Windows 7 computer
  • It functions as a media extender, which is in addition to a media player.

I have looked at the following alternatives to the DSM-750, they are

• The Boxee box
  • Western Digital Live TV media play
  • Microsoft Xbox-360
So far the only alternative that I have found that provides me what I want just by plugging it in is the Microsoft X-box 360 (or another DSM-750). I am aware of video conversion software the convert the video into a format the a media player will support. They are cumbersome, time consuming, inconvenient and have the possibility of reduced video quality and also increase the amount of drive space (and clutter) to contain your videos.
   I simply just want to record what I want to view at my convenience and not have to do nothing more that select the video and press he play button, which is what the DSM-750 does and the Microsoft X-box 360.
  So I am hoping the eventually the boxee box and/or the Western Digital box will support both the .dvr-ms and the .wtv formats, which will convince at least me that they are a realistic option to replace a DSM-750.

Regards,

Dave

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »

Thank you for the product comparison.  I'm currently using a legacy Netgear product for media and plan on moving to the D-Link Boxee Box in the near future.

totally_awesome

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »

Hello,

Let me (us) know what you think of the boxee box when you get it.

Regards, Dave

schmecky

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »

IMHO the only replacement to a MCE is to build a SFF windows 7 (8) machine and point to a shared (nas or windows) folder.

To really make this work you should look at the silicon dust network shared tuner...

My 750 is on the junk pile.  It needs a replacement cap.  Either I fix it or build a SFF pc...

I agree the media players dont hold a candle to the ease of use of MCE.  Microsoft did a terrible job of marketing media center..  Probably also charged their OEMs too much for the mce license which made them more expensive.