• March 28, 2024, 04:37:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Netflix on the DSM520  (Read 9953 times)

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Netflix on the DSM520
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:52:52 AM »

If you have a netflix account you can view movies from your instant queue on the DSM 520. :)

You must have firmware version 1.06 loaded on the DSM 520 and you will need to download and install the PlayOn software found at http://www.themediamall.com/.

They have a trial period so you can try the software before buying it. They charge a one time fee of $30.00 for the software but it is well worth it.

Be aware that PlayOn does not currently support the new beta netflix movie viewer (siverlight) and they are working to resolve this issue.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Netflix on the DSM520
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

Yeah PlayOn is really sweet I really like alot of its features and all the content. I would recommend checking out the beta.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

seal6kill

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:58:07 AM »

Does it work instead of the Media Server or in addition to.  In other words, if I buy Playon to watch Netflix but then I want to stream a video from my Media Server PC, can I do both without having to change settings?

Thanks in advance.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »

I do not use media server software on a PC so I can only guess. I use a D-Link DSM-G600 as a stand alone media server along with PlayOn. I have PlayOn installed on three seperate computers (since I never know which one will be running when I want to access PlayOn). On the DSM 520 when I select My Media from the main menu I see the following medis servers (if all three computers are on)
                                           dlink dcfb02
                                           PlayOn (Computer1)
                                           PlayOn (Computer2)
                                           PlayOn (Computer3)
I would image your media server PC software would be listed along with the computer name it is running on. If that is the case then you should be able to select either PlayOn or the PC media server. Once you selct a media server you can use it until you want to select another. Go back to the main menu on the DSM 520 and select a different media server.

One limitation may be the PC. Can you run two software media servers simultainously on the same PC? I have not tried this but you could download the PlayOn software and try it. They have a 14 day trial and the software has an interface that allows you to start and stop the service on the fly do you can expirement using it with the media server software on you PC. Let me know how it works for you.

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

I have run multiple servers on the same PC without a problem.  That includes PlayON.

Alan

HawaiiTom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »

PlayOn has now fixed the Netflix problem as well as the You Tube problem. I tested the Beta, then spent the $30. They have a new every every few days, and it seems to keep getting better.

tjd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:11 PM »

doesn't work for me on 520, it stutters

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »

doesn't work for me on 520, it stutters

Are you connecting wirelessly on your computer, DSM-520, or both?

tjd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »

no its hard wired, spent two fruitless weeks with playon/netflix/microsoft/isp support all pointing at each other. As far as I can determine there are various issues, netflix online is overloaded so at various times it has difficulty delivering enough video to fill its buffer(it tries to buffer a few mins of content), playon is not very intelligent/proactive, doesn't do any buffering, immediately delivers whats in the netflix buffer so thats the basic flaw in the stuttering, next problem is I have multiple dsm-520 and neither netflix nor playon like this. it is exacerbated when in debug mode and im starting and stopping videos trying to determine what isnt working. Netflix thru playon does not recognize when you stop a movie, so you can very quickly get max'd out on number of active movies and have to wait(up to 24hrs) for netflix to reset. Third you have to be VERY carefull where you run playon and where you select your netflix q, otherwise you are sent to drm hell. fourth playon's debug capabilities are non existant. they(playon support) use wmp11 and the hidden netflix keys to try and determine where problems are occurrring, problem is, netflix picks up on this and detects it as an illegal attempt to copy the content and sends your account to the penalty box. They also are not very skilled and come up with impossible solutions, like reinstalling wmp11 on vista. These are the "highlights " my summary is playon is a work in progress, ok if you have a very simple setup. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:15:20 AM by tjd »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »

Yeah I have seen there are still some known issues in the release notes for the latest version of PlayOn

* Netflix video sessions not properly closed in all cases, which may block PC browser access for up to 2 hours after starting a Netflix movie through PlayOn.
    * Netflix Instant Queue changes through PC browser may take up to 10 minutes to be reflected through PlayOn. Restarting the server will force an update.
    * Changes to a given Hulu Queue may not be immediately reflected through PlayOn.
    * Memory usage can increase over time (we recommend restarting the server regularly until this issue is resolved).
    * Videos are missing in the total counts for CBS (100 maximum).
    * YouTube subscriptions and playlists are limited to 50 videos.