• April 15, 2024, 10:52:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: dsm 520 wont conect to network  (Read 5303 times)

hirez24

dsm 520 wont conect to network
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »

I took My dsm 520 out of the closet after a year. It will power on but will not conect to network no matter what I do. I have firmware 1.06.01. dhcp wont work so I tried a manual config, that dosent work on wired or wireless the router is a dlink dir 655 with latest firmware.I also need to mention that the usb port dose not recognize anything. Is there a way to reflash the board as I think something is srewed up with the firmware?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: dsm 520 wont conect to network
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:13:23 PM »

What IP address are you statically setting to the DSM-520? Are you able to ping the DSM-520 from your PC?

Ping test instructions
1. Click “Start” and goto “Run”
2. Type “cmd” and press Enter
3. Type”ping 192.168.xxx.xxx” (IP address of the device you are tying to ping test)
You should get 4 replys back.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

hirez24

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »

set the static ip to a value within the router range. 192.168.1.194 the routers default gateway is 192.168.1.1 . I am famillliar with setting up networks so I dont think thia is the problem. Ping testa all come back with 1000% loss so the router is not aware that the 520 even existsts

hirez24

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »

Tried a different router today to see if maybe that was the problem but no dice. I am almost certain that if I could somehow reflash the firmware that it would work. Only problem is that no usb drive is recognized,wondering if this is a lost cause? I am sure that the warranty is up so no chance of getting dlink to fix it . Anyway I am just about to give up unless anyone has some suggestions.

Thanks for listening, HiRez24

taoofchas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

'Rez,

if you have,

Connected via cat5 cable to the dir-655 (same router I use btw),
Set a static IP on the dsm inside your network address space,
Tried to ping from another machine on the network or the router ping page and got nothing,
Have no connection to USB devices,

I think you're screwed.
Outside of taking off the cover and getting out a circuit analyzer, I can't think of anything you could do.

On the bright side, there are a lot of nice new boxes on the market...

chas

hirez24

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »

Thank you chas for your reply.  The unit is now int he garbage can outside my apt.  I will be building a htpc based on the gigabyte board with the hardware hi def video decoder built in, should beat the hell out of anything I've bought in a store.

Thanks again, HiRez24
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:22:26 PM by hirez24 »