• March 28, 2024, 06:37:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FF/Rew/Search does not work with Xvid files  (Read 8623 times)

kajtek

FF/Rew/Search does not work with Xvid files
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »

I created Xvid file (AVI + MPEG4 format) that plays fine and FF/Rew speeds up but when I press PLAY to stop, it jumps to the beginning.
If I change to Jump mode and use search function, I enter search time and press Enter it jumps to the beginning (always).

If I play MPEG file instead, both functions work properly.

Another question, how to make FF/Rew move faster?

boggystudios

Re: FF/Rew/Search does not work with Xvid files
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »

To skip ahead faster just press one of the number buttons to skip that number * 10 % forward in the audio or video file.  For example you could press 5 to skip to the middle of the file.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »

When the files jumps to the beginning from using FF or RW it is usually an indication that the file has some type indexing issue. Does this happen on all you Xvid files and are you recoding yourself? If so What software is used?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kajtek

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »

It happens to all my Xvid files.
I converted my home videos from AVI (DV) format (which DSM-520 does not play) to Xvid using AutoGK (www.autogk.com) which uses VirtualDub for conversion.
Nero also does not allow to FF/Rew these files (buttons are grayed out).

What to do now? Is is a problem with conversion, AutoGK settings which are very few, VirtualDub setting, ?

kajtek

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »

I want to make it clear that the DSM520 properly FF/Rew at about 2x speed but only when I press Play to stop FF/Rew, then it jumps to the beginning.
Using Search function always jumps to the begining.
There still could be a problem with file indexing that needs to be resolved.

Is there a way to speed up FF/Rew to more like 4x/8x/16x/...
The previous suggestion using number pad is also very good (is it documented?) but I need to see and search where I want to stop.

slisher

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

I think 2x ff is one of the weakest things for this system.  The 10% jump is ok but does not work for skipping through commercials.  I do not understand why it cannot support 4x/8x/16x/...  I think to be competitive they would fix this problem. 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »

There are 3 methods that can be used to navigate though a video or audio file.

1. The FF and RW buttons can be used to fastforward or rewind though a file at 2X the playback speed.

2. A quick jump button feature has been added in firmware 1.04 to jump to locations in a file in 10% increments using the number buttons on the remote control.

Example: Press 1 to jump 10% into the file or 5 to goto 50%

3. A video seek feature has been added in firmware 1.06 Press Pagedown to skip 30 seconds into the file and Page Up to replay 15 seconds of the file using the remote control.

kajtek

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »

All of these functions sound great but my problem is that they do not work which I said in my initial posting.
When I use FF/Rew, the movie is sped up by 2x, but when I press Play to stop FF/Rew, it jumps to the begining.
When I use any numeric buttons, it always jumps to the begining.
I am using firmware 1.05 and it says that it is the latest.

My conclusion is that the buttons respond, but for some reason, they always jump to the begining and play again.
This is useless for Xvid (converted with AutoGK).

Playing Mpeg formated movies, all of the above functions work OK.
This needs to be fixed for Xvid.

skeil909

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »

All of these functions sound great but my problem is that they do not work which I said in my initial posting.
When I use FF/Rew, the movie is sped up by 2x, but when I press Play to stop FF/Rew, it jumps to the begining.
When I use any numeric buttons, it always jumps to the begining.
I am using firmware 1.05 and it says that it is the latest.

My conclusion is that the buttons respond, but for some reason, they always jump to the begining and play again.
This is useless for Xvid (converted with AutoGK).

Playing Mpeg formated movies, all of the above functions work OK.
This needs to be fixed for Xvid.

I convert all my movies with AutoGK and FF/Rew or # buttons don't give me these problems.  I get a different problem that causes my audio to blank out for 1s about every 10-30s. It's like a scratch on a CD.  Movie plays fine and audio keeps sync but that annoying audio cut-out drives me insane.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »

Please try another recoding software or settings. Seeing as your files restart when trying to FF or RW shows an indexing issue with the files and this device.

kajtek

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

I used Super C converter instead and it works now.
I will stick with it for now.
Thanks.