• March 29, 2024, 03:54:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can not get DSM-520 to see files on DSM-G600 Rev B  (Read 7257 times)

Can not get DSM-520 to see files on DSM-G600 Rev B
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:32:02 AM »

I have the UPnP AV set up to share the whole drive HDD_a with open r/w access. I have three folders called Music, Video and Photos. The 520 sees the nas but when I chose any section I get "Unable to access this folder." My file formats are mp3, jpg and avi. I know the 520 is accessing the network because it went out to the internet and got updates. I can play the music on my pc from the nas also.
Any suggestions?

???
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:48:06 AM by ECF »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Can not get DSM-520 to see files on DSM-G600 Rev B
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:56 AM »

In the UPnP AV configuration on the DSM-G600 try sharing a folder with media instead of the whole volume and see if you have different results. If running your DSM-520 wirelessly try it wired as well.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

I am using the DSM G600 as a media server for the DSM520. I created a directory called UPnP_AV in the root of hdd_a. In the UPnP_AV directory I created the directories Music, Photo & Video.

Open the web page on the DSM G600 and go to the advanced tab and click on the UPnP AV button. Make sure that the root checkbox is unchecked. Press the Open button to open a browser. Select the UPnP_AV folder on hdd_a and press the OK button. The selcted folder is displayed in the text box. Press the Apply button. After pressing the Apply button it will take a moment for the DSM G600 to refresh the UPnP AV folder (notice the green progress bar on the internet explorer staus bar). When the DSM G600 is done refreshing the folder you selected will  be displayed under the Refresh button. Logout of the web page and select the DSM G600 as your media server on the DSM 520. It should work.

Remember when you add new media such as music files to the folders in the UPnP_AV directory you will have to go to the DSM G600 web page again and refresh the UPnP_AV folder so they newly added media will show up on the DSM520. I do not know if this is required for Video and Photos but with music the DSM G600 writes a file called .prescan.music, while refreshing, in each directory that contains music files This file contains all of the music info for your DSM 520.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »

I have gone in and set up the upnp for every folder on the DSM-G600 one by one and ran a refresh to make sure they could be read. I ran across some that failed and fixed each one individually. Now in particular I have a folder B that has all the groups that start with B. I selected each sub folder and ran the refresh and got them all to pass after deleting files that made them fail. Now when I go back to B and run refresh it still fails. I have 61 folders in B and nothing in the root of B and it is very time consumming to do this but that is what 3rd level tech support asked me to do. Now I have no idea what to do next, if anyone has any ideas, please, or I will just have to wait till support opens in CA today.
I am running wired with all the latest updates and already reformated the drive once per tech support.
The Videos and Photos work whan I point the upnp to them.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »

I finally got through all my files on the NAS and was able to get a refresh to pass on the music folder that has all my mp3's. I ripped one cd from WMP11 to the nas and once again I could not refresh. After spending over 1 hour calling dlink and getting connected to fast busy 5 times I got someone in level 3. He tried to tell me the problem was because I was using WMP11 to rip them I would have to use the pc as the server. I told hom that couldn't be right and he sent me to the land of the fast busy once again. Having to use my pc as a server defeats the purpose for having the GSM-D600 nas so I will be moving all my files to my pc and selling the nas on ebay. This has been one of my worst experiences with any tech support and as I am an MCSE I have spent a lot of time with support people over the years. I would rate this d600 an F as a media server. Since this is a dlink forum I don't think this post will stay on very long. Feel Free to contact me at legers71275@mypacks.net with any comments or questions.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

On the DSM-G600 you only have to set the UPnPAV path to a single folder. I do not think you can set it to multiple folders (that would not make sense).

This folder should be the root for all of your media. This does not mean the folder has to exist at the root of the hard drive. You can point to a sub folder on the hard drive and all of the folders that are below will contain your media and be refreshed when you select refresh.

What I do is create a folder called UPnPAV and then create three folders called Music, Video and Photo in the UPnPAV folder. In the music, video and photo folders I create folders that catagorize the media such a artists, albums, photo albums etc.. In all I have 5245 files in 674 folders occupying 207 GB of space. This file sytem works all the time. When I add media I refresh the UPnPAV folder succesfully everytime.

Never had a problem with the refresh. I have ripped .wav files into these folder using WMP11 without any problem (had to delete the junk files that WMP11 puts there that are not music). The folders refreshed fine even with the junk files.

I have had mixed succes using D-links phone support. Thier email support and this forum seem to be OK. I rate the DSM-G600 as a pretty good media server to use with the DSM 520. I would not worry about D-link deleting your post. They put up with worst crtiicism and seem to handle it very well.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 07:11:54 AM »

I started out by setting the nPnP to the root and I got the msg on the 520 that it could not access the files. I then tried it at the individual folders one at a time to see if anything would work. I found that the Pictures and Videos folders would work but not the Music folder. That is when I called support. After trying all their steps they sent me to third level who said to go through all the folders one at a time and clean up the ones that would not refresh. After spending hours cleaning it up I got the refresh to work at the root. I then riped one cd using WMP11 and it "broke" again. The folder I riped top would still refresh but the root wouldn't. I called support and after an hour got to 3rd level and they told me it was because I was using WMP11. I felt like I ws starting to get the circle jerk and had had enough of that. I have over 23,000 MP3 in 2200 folders. Do you have that many? Anyways, I am moving all my files to my PC and doing it that way. I will keep the 520 as it works great when I do it through the PC. The NAS will be gone soon.