• April 18, 2024, 10:31:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Access to USB direct drive from accross Network?  (Read 5143 times)

jrandell

Access to USB direct drive from accross Network?
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »

is there a way to copy files to a hard drive which is plugged into the 520 USB direct port, from a cpu accross the network?

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Re: Access to USB direct drive from accross Network?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:30:25 AM »

I do not think it would be possible to copy files to the USB hard drive connected to the DSM520 over your network, but I could be wrong. The DSM 520 does not act as a network storage device and probablly cannot even write to the USB drive. I would use the DSMG600 or DNS323 for network storage and they both have a UPnP media server built in that can serve media files to the DSM520.

I think the USB drive on the DSM520 is intended to be used for the Windows connect now feature and for reading media files therefore a read only device. I connect my USB drive to a PC or network storage device and copy media files to the drive for playback on the DSM520.

skeil909

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »

If you had an external enclosure that allowed simultaneous USB / Ethernet access, then yes, it would be possible.  You would connect your enclosure via USB to the DSM-520 and share your drive on the network.  Manage your files via the network from your PC and play them on the DSM-520 from USB Direct.

Copying movies over ethernet is to slow for me. I use a small, cheap, $19.95 USB enclosure with a 250gb IDE HDD.  Hook it up to my PC, copy my movies and then move it back over to my DSM-520.  Super fast and easy.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »

Drives connected via USB to the DSM-520 cannot be accessed on the network by other devices.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream